Thread: 1999 fbody ls1 cam/heads

1999 fbody ls1 cam/heads

Hi guys, new here. Can anyone point me in the right direction for an initial tune file I can load so I can do an initial start? Ls1 with new prc heads, 228r cam fast 92 and longtubes. Thanks in advance!

Tuner in Training
    Everyone is going to tell you that your "base tune" is going to be a stock file and most people wont just give you a file that they have worked hard to make for their own or someone elses car. Most of us are very willing to help you learn or give pointers to help out though. If you need a stock tune file then go to the repository and DL one to use. If you have your stock file from the PCM then there are lots of write ups on how to start and what to do.

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...tricks-373848/

Here is a link that has lots of good info for a gen 3 and is pretty much step by step. If you need some help after reading or dont understand then shoot a reply and I'll try to get back with you as soon as i can.
    If you cant get it to idle then add some base rpm setpoint. lowering VE in the idle range (up to 1200) just slightly and then raising it some past that will also help. read through that link, it covers it all i believe.

Senior Tuner
    It's not that. I just think giving a file wouldn't be helpful. It could be as far away from his build as a stock file. Plus, it's confusing for someone to see changes without knowing the reasoning behind them.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    It's not that. I just think giving a file wouldn't be helpful. It could be as far away from his build as a stock file. Plus, it's confusing for someone to see changes without knowing the reasoning behind them.
    I agree completely. I think its a very common beginners mistake and i made that mistake myself when i first started and knew nothing. People think that a similar setup will be the exact same or "close enough" to their tune which is almost never the case in my experience. I dont mind sharing what knowledge i do have and helping people on here when i can as long as theyre willing to put some work in to learning and figuring things out as well. However, i have seen some people (mostly FB groups) that wont send a HPT file cause they "had to learn the hard way" or something dumb like that or even people who will intentionally send files with the purpose of harming the new tuners engine. I definitely didnt mean anything by my comment as far as being derogatory. Thanks for chiming in though, I see you all over the forum and you are very knowledgable. I almost messaged you one day because im also in idiana and theres not many tuners here, specially ones that are competent. Im sure youre no where close to me though. Im in switz city, IN

Senior Tuner
    Terre Haute, and I'm not a tuner just some random guy with a clapped out firebird lol

Advanced Tuner
    oh shit, youre a lot closer than i thought. i like to think im a "tuner" i started in 2016 and just really never commented or did anything but read on the forum. Ive done several gen 3s and a few gen 4s and im working on learning Ford tuning which is back assward as hell so its gonna take me some time. Thats pretty cool youre so close, im from OK originally so i dont really know a lot of people around here and there are tons of people that need their projects tuned.

Senior Tuner
    Yeah not too far away. I was thinking you lived up north, no particular reason.

I think Ford is the hardest, but they're pretty fun. All MAF, calculated air loads translated to torque, dual VCT, direct injection, then of course Ecoboost adds to the complication.

You two rock !!!!
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT - VCM otr intake, underdrive pulley, Kooks LT's no cats to Kooks mufflers, LS7 maf, 3.45 gears, stall, cammed
    2014 Chevy SS - Rotofab CAI, LS7 maf, Kooks LT's no cats to factory mufflers, flex fuel sensor, cammed