Thread: Static Power enrich vs Temperature Control

Potential Tuner

Static Power enrich vs Temperature Control

I'm wondering why does so many tuners (or maybe all) max out the values for the component Protection/Catalyst Protection and zero out the associated values from the FA enrich Max?

Sure the values in the power enrichment tables are raised up, but what speaks against to enrich via the component Protection to keep the catalyst and exhaust cool?

In my example I see exhaust temperatures in long wot pulls of around 2000F with a afr of 0.0169 (lambda 0,81).
    My target would around 1800F for the exhaust temperature, is there any reason to not set the protection values to around 1800F and set the "FA COT/EOT max enrich" to a afr of 0.0075 for example?
    With the 0.0169 from the PE I would see a max afr of 0.0244 (lambda 0.74) right?

Or does I have a misunderstand the PE system?

In this case it is a 2016 Hellcat but the question is for all hemis/cars.

Thanks
    Marc
    Last edited by M.P.L; 05-27-2023 at 05:33 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by M.P.L View Post
    I'm wondering why does so many tuners (or maybe all) max out the values for the component Protection/Catalyst Protection and zero out the associated values from the FA enrich Max?

In this case it is a 2016 Hellcat but the question is for all hemis/cars.
    salt flat or drag strip?

not all cars are used for the same application

fuel does not fix everything anyways - it can and will cause detonation

being overly rich is the 2nd most common way someone would hurt a nitrous motor

Potential Tuner
    I would call it Long Highway pulls throught several gears and some track-day application.

I does not want run the car rich like the manufacturer.
    But we fight against melting Catalyst converters too.
    From what I have read is that the exhaust and catalyst temperature is calculated...
    If that is true I'm flying blind with my values.

I've been told a few different things about the Cat Temp, I was once told that the calculation is based on how fast the o2 Sensor heats up,
    the other was there's an algorithm that take the Pro O2 readings and the post cat readings and the difference in voltage equals cat temp.

No there is no reason not to set your " protection values to around 1800F" ,

I don't know enough about the COT/EOT table to say anything either way, I was once told that the COT/EOT Enrich table acts like a Multi table and not an "adds" table.
    04 GTX........ 8.91@151mph 392Ci G3Hemi NA 3600lbs 2.6HP/CI Naturally Aspirated
    05 GTxtreme 9:45@142mph 426Ci G3Hemi NA 4000lbs
    G3 Hemi Videos

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClS...5mXdDR5sOxs10Q

Advanced Tuner
    If you were American you could turn all that shit off

Johnny law started permanently taking driver lic at 105 and there is not a road coarse here with a straight long enough to hurt that motor

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PurpleRam View Post
    I've been told a few different things about the Cat Temp, I was once told that the calculation is based on how fast the o2 Sensor heats up,
    the other was there's an algorithm that take the Pro O2 readings and the post cat readings and the difference in voltage equals cat temp.

No there is no reason not to set your " protection values to around 1800F" ,

I don't know enough about the COT/EOT table to say anything either way, I was once told that the COT/EOT Enrich table acts like a Multi table and not an "adds" table.
    You are absolutely right, it is a Multi table not a add table.
    The good news is the ECM don't run under the PE table values :P

I will Install a exhaust temperature sensor to read what is the difference real vs ecm values.
    If someone is interested in the values I like to post them.

Stock engine has piston cooling Jet system, most of the stroker need to delete them.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by M.P.L View Post
    From what I have read is that the exhaust and catalyst temperature is calculated...
    Yes the reported cat temps are modelled/calculated which are heavily based on the "catalyst temperature" table.