Thread: Can you guess whats wrong?

Tuner in Training

Can you guess whats wrong?

I feel like a broken record on this forum. I realized I wasnt going to get my tune figured out as quickly as I wanted so paid a somewhat local guy to send me a tune. I had already bought a mpvi3, credits and licensed my pcm so he adjusted my tune remotely. I waited a couple days for the tune, then he sent it this morning. Its not much better than what I already had. Im getting a lot of stumbling at low/mid acceleration & small backfires/pops at about every other take off. VCM scanner shows Im running lean I believe, I'm not sure im even reading the graphs right at this point. I contacted the tuner but have yet to hear back from him. I couldnt find anyone local to set my tune which is why I bought the mpvi3 in the 1st place. But I'd like to drive my truck without stumbling & backfiring.

1) Does anyone notice anything off with my tune and/or log?

2) I have tried MAF & VE tuning before I bought a tune but apparently I was doing something wrong because I couldnt get it to work for me. If I bought a wideband, would this make the process easier?

2002 5.3 DBC, 218/224 .553/.553 110lsa cam, long tube headers, 2800 stall
    Attached Files Attached Files

Is this a swap vehicle? No cats? No EVAP stuff?

Tuner in Training
    Correct. No cats, no downstream o2s, no egr, no evap

Give this a try. No guarantees. It's not gonna do great until MAF & VE are tuned, but I mainly just fixed up those awful main spark tables. Good Lord.

brandon 2002 5.3 LM7 with BTR Stage 3 1st tune - newspark.hpt

Tuner in Training
    I greatly appreciate it. I'll see how this works for sure. For the MAF & VE tuning, no wideband, do I disable DFCO, COT, PE for both MAF & VE tuning? then obviously disable MAF for VE and vice versa. Ive also read to disable LTFT while VE tuning but I thought thats what you use to make adjustments so Im lost on that

Get a wideband, it's a must have thing.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

You can't disable fuel trims for tuning without a wideband, otherwise you'd get no data. That only works (and is mandatory) when tuning with a wideband.

There are filters you can use to exclude data for when it's in PE or DFCO or other stuff, no need to turn those things off. Just filter them out.

Tuner in Training
    Wanted to give you an update. That spark table adjustment felt a lot better but I was still getting a lot of stumbling & backfires. I did a little digging around this morning & found I had a plug wire with a little gouge in it so picked up a new set of wires & it made a world of difference. Very little stumbles & no backfires. Fuel trims are still lean but not as much. Im going to work on dialing in the MAF & VE now. Tuner also contacted me to let me know hes out of town for the holiday & will work on it when he gets back. I do have a wideband ordered, just waiting on delivery. Im having bad luck with packages lately so who knows when that will be. Hopefully I can make progress now until that comes in

Advanced Tuner
    Here is a startup i did for a dbc manual shift 5.3 with that same cam. You may try to steal the ve table as a starting point. It started up and ran very good on the test fire just a couple days ago. Make sure to use the stoich value as well as the ve.
    Attached Files Attached Files