Thread: E78 tuning guide?

Potential Tuner

E78 tuning guide?

Is there a beginner guide to the e78 ecm? I have a 2012 2500hd and have cammed it and deleted vvt and I am having issues with it dying at low rpm randomly or having trouble starting after a short trip and I want to try tuning myself to save money on several trips to tuner. Also scared to continue my boost build due to issues that may come from tuning. Any help would be great.

Potential Tuner
    I also searched the website and could not find anything as far as a ?guide? in case I?m instructed to do so. I had no luck there.

There's very little that's different between the E78 and everything else Gen4. Every ECM family has it's own little oddities but nothing that changes the way you tune them.

The E78 is more like a E92 to be honest.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

E78 is a tq based PI system

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Brksblake View Post
    Is there a beginner guide to the e78 ecm? I have a 2012 2500hd and have cammed it and deleted vvt and I am having issues with it dying at low rpm randomly or having trouble starting after a short trip and I want to try tuning myself to save money on several trips to tuner. Also scared to continue my boost build due to issues that may come from tuning. Any help would be great.
    If you know how to tune gen three then some of the youtube videos like goat rope can get you the basic idea on MAF and VVE. I take everything on youtube with a grain of salt, but there is some good info on there. I dont know how much time you spend on learning this stuff but if there is ever a setting in the tune file i am not familiar with then i will research that specific table/chart/scalar or whatever to learn more and if its settings would need changed based on my build. but im also kind of a nerd for this stuff
    Last edited by horsepowerguru427; 05-30-2023 at 08:26 AM.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you i am completely green at this point im doing ressearch playing with tunes on forums and watching lots of videos and reading lots before i actually buy a mpvi to start tuning with. all the tuning on my truck has been done by a professional shop near where i live but i am spending a lot of money on tunes and would like to be able to do it myself. But i am not finding a whole lot of info or support for the e78 ecm.

There's not a whole lot of info or support specific to the E78 because tuning it works just like tuning an E38 or E67. It has some limitations like cooling fan type and other odds and ends but then every ECM and every OS has some little things in different places that are different from everything else.

Advanced Tuner
    Tune your VVE and VT for best idle and drivability. Treat it like a 2014+ L83 Silverado.
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

Quote Originally Posted by STAGEUP View Post
    Tune your VVE and VT for best idle and drivability. Treat it like a 2014+ L83 Silverado.
    Yesssss, correct

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Potential Tuner
    Thank you!