Thread: Ls tuning help

Ls tuning help

So the main thing is what is need to be change in the tune for an ls swap obs. It?s a 2005 5.3 4l60e with headers 340lph fuel pump. I haven?t gotten the tune devise yet because I don?t know if I?m going to be able to due it. So I?m asking about this to see if I should try it or just go get it tuned

That's a pretty hard question to give a solid answer on. There are so many variables here.

Just for starters you have to turn off VATS so it can run. Then you will have to go through the DTC's page to turn off a bunch of stuff no longer used like EVAP, rear o2 sensors etc etc. You'll have to do the little training course that HPT has for the DTC's page, not hard just an extra step now on new software.

You need to regulate your fuel pressure with that large of a pump. I don't suggest the stupid corvette filter regulator either.

If the engine is completely stock with no intake or headers etc etc, it should start up and run no problems.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    That's a pretty hard question to give a solid answer on. There are so many variables here.

Just for starters you have to turn off VATS so it can run. Then you will have to go through the DTC's page to turn off a bunch of stuff no longer used like EVAP, rear o2 sensors etc etc. You'll have to do the little training course that HPT has for the DTC's page, not hard just an extra step now on new software.

You need to regulate your fuel pressure with that large of a pump. I don't suggest the stupid corvette filter regulator either.

If the engine is completely stock with no intake or headers etc etc, it should start up and run no problems.
    Hey thanks for the reply. I already had the vats deleted and the engine has long tubes and an Amazon intake and it runs already but when I step on the gas it kinda chokes. Why don?t u suggest the corvette fuel filter? And that?s it just the codes and regulate the fuel pressure and I?ll be ready to run?

High flow rate pumps can push past what the regulator is set for. The stock corvette fuel pump doesn't flow 340LPH.

Well if it was all stock and you will just wanting a runner, then it would likely be just fine. But you have headers and a intake, both of which could lead to possible vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks. So you'd want to verify you have no leaks so it's not throwing o2 sensors off and you want to make sure you are keeping fuel pressure around 58psi.

You'd need to data log it to see why it's choking out. It could be running way lean or there isn't enough fuel flow for the engine. Tough to say why it's doing it.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    High flow rate pumps can push past what the regulator is set for. The stock corvette fuel pump doesn't flow 340LPH.

Well if it was all stock and you will just wanting a runner, then it would likely be just fine. But you have headers and a intake, both of which could lead to possible vacuum leaks or exhaust leaks. So you'd want to verify you have no leaks so it's not throwing o2 sensors off and you want to make sure you are keeping fuel pressure around 58psi.

You'd need to data log it to see why it's choking out. It could be running way lean or there isn't enough fuel flow for the engine. Tough to say why it's doing it.

Oh ok so what should I do instead of the corvette filter? I think ima but it and try it out to see if I can if not I?ll just resell it.

https://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/p...rod/prd425.htm

Not recommended with fuel pumps that flow over 255 lph

If you have it sorta running now, but don't have a regulator yet, what's on there and what is the fuel pressure in the rail?

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    If you have it sorta running now, but don't have a regulator yet, what's on there and what is the fuel pressure in the rail?
    I do have a filter I have the corvette one. But I can?t see the fuel pressure I don?t have a guage for and I haven?t gotten the mpvi3

If you're going to work on EFI stuff a fuel pressure gauge is not really optional, especially when you go designing your own fuel system and changing things.

If you're going to work on EFI stuff a fuel pressure gauge is not really optional, especially when you go designing your own fuel system and changing things.
    I see I guess I?ll install a pressure gauge soon

Not install, it's a common-as-dirt tool you hook up to verify things are working as they should, then put away.

I was running a corvette filter on my 340 and can confirm the pump over runs the regulator. it was was over 70psi. Get an adjustable and a gauge

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by PAQ View Post
    I was running a corvette filter on my 340 and can confirm the pump over runs the regulator. it was was over 70psi. Get an adjustable and a gauge
    what band fuel filter/regulator? I've done this so many times and never seen this. I've seen a couple people talk about it but never saw it in personal experience. We do a ton of hotrods and that is what most seem to use.

We had some racecars we were doing a run of that had to stop using them but it was because fuel was boiling in the rail and it was doing a good job keeping that 90+ psi locked up and forward.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Adding check valves between the rail & regulator is what causes the locked injectors during hot soak thing.

There've been many many threads here with Corvette regulators, big pumps, and no-start complaints. Checking key-on rail pressures found 70-100psi and the fix was to ditch the Corvette filter.

Senior Tuner
    Adding check valves between the rail & regulator is what causes the locked injectors during hot soak thing.

There've been many many threads here with Corvette regulators, big pumps, and no-start complaints. Checking key-on rail pressures found 70-100psi and the fix was to ditch the Corvette filter.

The ones I'm talking about were vapor locking just on the vette regulator.. no check valve added. We did around 10 old cup cars with LSX's in them.

I wonder if the people having issues are using a parts store vette regulator or something..
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    what band fuel filter/regulator? I've done this so many times and never seen this. I've seen a couple people talk about it but never saw it in personal experience. We do a ton of hotrods and that is what most seem to use.

We had some racecars we were doing a run of that had to stop using them but it was because fuel was boiling in the rail and it was doing a good job keeping that 90+ psi locked up and forward.
    Aem 340 with an AC Delco vette filter... the pressure before the filter was crazy high also

Quote Originally Posted by PAQ View Post
    Aem 340 with an AC Delco vette filter... the pressure before the filter was crazy high also
    It's a straight shot from inlet to outlet, except for passing through the filter element - the return port is just like a poppet valve and is 'teed' in in the middle, and bleeds off anything over the set pressure. There shouldn't ever be any difference in inlet & outlet pressures unless the filter itself is dirty and causing a restriction. The issue with the filter/regulator things is that the flow path through the regulator part is too restrictive, so the poppet valve ends up pegged out against the stops and still can't bleed off enough volume to bring the pressure down.