Thread: Planning for Temporary Wideband Connection in 2007 Corvette Z06 LS7

Tuner

Planning for Temporary Wideband Connection in 2007 Corvette Z06 LS7

Newbie here! Have a MPVI2+ and have been studying how to do some basic Fuel Trim tuning stuff. I realize that I will need to use a wideband O2 setup for PE & WOT tuning. I want to know the best way to connect a wideband O2 sensor with the MPVI2+. After much research, I think I would like to use one of the factory front 02 sensor bungs to mount the wideband sensor with the understanding that the factory O2 narrowbands are not being used when tuning with the wideband. Is this approach correct? I am not interested in the mounting of any kind of permanent gauge in the car, just want to tune & remove it. I have seen reference to ProLink cables, is this the piece that connects the wideband sensor cable harness to the MPVI2+ interface? What all do I need? Which wideband sensor should I buy?

Thanks!!

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/avm-30-0334

Piggybacks onto the DLC, shows up in the scanner as a separate controller on the CANbus. No Prolink needed.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post

Piggybacks onto the DLC, shows up in the scanner as a separate controller on the CANbus. No Prolink needed.
    Ah-Hah, sounds simple enough. Thanks

Advanced Tuner

Sometimes i wish there was a heart reaction on here lol

Senior Tuner

Highly recommend

If your going to use a front O2 spot make sure you unplug both o2 sensors or purposely put the tune into open loop.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Highly recommend

If your going to use a front O2 spot make sure you unplug both o2 sensors or purposely put the tune into open loop.
    Makes sense, Thanks!

Tuner in Training
    For a temporary install, can’t you install an exhaust sniffer (innovate exhaust clamp) ?

It looks to be inaccurate at idle/part throttle but at WOT, the exhaust flow of a LS7 should be enough.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoturbo View Post
    For a temporary install, can’t you install an exhaust sniffer (innovate exhaust clamp) ?

It looks to be inaccurate at idle/part throttle but at WOT, the exhaust flow of a LS7 should be enough.
    A rear O2 spot would work better. IF available.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by marcoturbo View Post
    For a temporary install, can?t you install an exhaust sniffer (innovate exhaust clamp) ?

Having seen the tailpipe sniffers used for Dyno Tuning I thought the same. 99% of what I read here says it's a no-no. Going to keep
    reading/studying.

Tuner
    A rear O2 spot would work better. IF available.
    I like that thought, would be an easier install. So the post-Cat issue is not a deal breaker when tuning PE & WOT? Does the wideband do
    other things I'm not aware of? I Am a Newbie, lol

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Les10 View Post
    I like that thought, would be an easier install. So the post-Cat issue is not a deal breaker when tuning PE & WOT? Does the wideband do
    other things I'm not aware of? I Am a Newbie, lol
    The air/fuel doesn't change before or after the cat especially so in a rich mixture like PE.. but the temperature and pressure do.. Both of those things can skew a wideband but in my experience it isn't enough to worry about.

innovate makes a tailpipe sniffer that uses a bernoulli effect to get a decent idle and part throttle read. Idle could be messed up but the rest of it is reasonable. It's my absolutely last ditch effort. I only get it out a couple times a year when the exhaust is so buttoned up I don't have any hope in getting into a o2 spot.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Tuner
    Highly recommend

Got my AEM 30-0334 & planning to use front o2 spot on B1. Will leaving B2S1 o2 in place while tuning damage it or will purposely putting the tune in open loop make it safe? Didn't know if I needed to remove B2S1 & blank the bung.

Narrowbands are still powered and work & report voltages like normal when in forced open loop, the ECM just doesn't use them to adjust any fueling.

Senior Tuner
    Got my AEM 30-0334 & planning to use front o2 spot on B1. Will leaving B2S1 o2 in place while tuning damage it or will purposely putting the tune in open loop make it safe? Didn't know if I needed to remove B2S1 & blank the bung.
    You can unplug that sensor if you need.. or if you can in the tune stick it into open loop. I like just unplugging one if the other is out so I'm not having to flash it into open loop and back out.

Some OS's can be a bit awkward getting into open loop but as I say that I can't think of anything that behave too oddly...
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Tuner
    You can unplug that sensor if you need.. or if you can in the tune stick it into open loop. I like just unplugging one if the other is out so I'm not having to flash it into open loop and back out.

Some OS's can be a bit awkward getting into open loop but as I say that I can't think of anything that behave too oddly...
    So running the engine with the remaining O2 (B2S1) still in the exhaust not powered up/not heating up will not harm the sensor?
    Last edited by Les10; 07-28-2023 at 01:04 PM.

So running the engine with the remaining O2 (B2S1) still in the exhaust not powered up/not heating up does not harm it?
    That will not harm the sensor. Things that will.
    1. Contamination. Oil, coolant, silicone from incorrect RTV. Last two is mud packing and physical damage.