Thread: Chasing my tail - AFR wanders around aimlessly . HELP needed

Tuner in Training

Chasing my tail - AFR wanders around aimlessly . HELP needed

2003 Silverado 1500
    Mods:
    Truck Norris Cam
    12613412- Injector Data from Blindsquirrel.
    Stock intake
    Stock TB
    Stock Exh Manifolds

Swapped this 6.0 into my 4.8 truck and have been trying to tune it for weeks now. Seems as soon as I get things close, everything changes. I went as far as starting over with my original 4.8 base tune and copied over some VE data and other pertinent info from my other truck(stock 2500hd 6.0)
    I have been logging ADR error and then applying Special as Half%
    These two logs are minutes apart. Felt I was getting close, pulled into the shop and let it idle while looking over data and well..... you will see what happened to my AFR after idiing a few minutes.

HELP!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Why are you running MAF only with no fuel trims? Id re enable OL and use STFT to tune everything except WOT and PE

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by horsepowerguru427 View Post
    Why are you running MAF only with no fuel trims? Id re enable OL and use STFT to tune everything except WOT and PE
    Because I thought I was supposed to turn off fuel trims and use a wideband. If it's better to turn short terms on in open lop and use narrowbands, that is what I will do. The narrowbands are of an unknown age, should I buy new ones?

Advanced Tuner
    If theyre working properly then there is no need to replace them. So, even with a wideband installed, STFT in OL DO NOT make fueling changes. You can monitor what the computer is seeing but it doesnt have the ability to make adjustments in the background like it can with LTFT in CL. DEFINITELY use the wideband once youre getting into WOT and/or PE though. Some people prefer to use CL and STFT+LTFT math to tune VE and MAF. I have had much better results using STFT in CL personally and ive tried all of it. I collect data in STFT and apply it until im getting <1% variation while driving.

I enabled STFT, disabled PE (mostly) just dont go past about 80% throttle or 6000rpm while collecting data. DFCO is also turned off and i changed the transients slightly for the cam overlap and larger injectors. go collect data using this tune (MAF only enabled) and apply changes by 1/2% as youve been doing. take a few logs and apply them back to back to keep ambient temp changes to a minimum. After doing the MAF then disable it and tune the VE. I like to start with the VE and move to MAF after but it doesnt really matter on your setup honestly. Let me know how it works out.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by horsepowerguru427 View Post
    If theyre working properly then there is no need to replace them. So, even with a wideband installed, STFT in OL DO NOT make fueling changes. You can monitor what the computer is seeing but it doesnt have the ability to make adjustments in the background like it can with LTFT in CL. DEFINITELY use the wideband once youre getting into WOT and/or PE though. Some people prefer to use CL and STFT+LTFT math to tune VE and MAF. I have had much better results using STFT in CL personally and ive tried all of it. I collect data in STFT and apply it until im getting <1% variation while driving.

I enabled STFT, disabled PE (mostly) just dont go past about 80% throttle or 6000rpm while collecting data. DFCO is also turned off and i changed the transients slightly for the cam overlap and larger injectors. go collect data using this tune (MAF only enabled) and apply changes by 1/2% as youve been doing. take a few logs and apply them back to back to keep ambient temp changes to a minimum. After doing the MAF then disable it and tune the VE. I like to start with the VE and move to MAF after but it doesnt really matter on your setup honestly. Let me know how it works out.
    Will do, thank you very much.