Thread: Starting issues

Tuner

Starting issues

Running 05 5.3, straight e85, Deka 80's .585 Cam 3 Bar. I have to crank the car 3 times Cold then it starts. Has a hanging throttle issue that very slowly comes down to 875 Rpm. Once the engine warms up it idles good, will get hot though. Radiator is actually cold to touch and the scanner reads over 220 F. Going to take a look into the thermostat obviously. If the engine is warm it will not start back up but will not ever stall prior to that. I am running the 3 wire ECT sensor installed in the DS front Head. Let it get cold as it sits a couple hours, starts hard but starts. I will hop on the laptop and post a read as is and the log after.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Folken; 06-04-2023 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Add Files from remote device.

Tuner
    Use this layout file, it keeps switching back on me.

Get chanels working.Layout.xml
    Last edited by Folken; 06-04-2023 at 08:01 PM.

Set all 3 MAF dtc's to MIL on first error. If it can't fail the MAF straight away they usually don't like to start right up.

The over/underspeed spark correction tables should be made less wild, that's a lot of spark movement. Those timing tables are pretty bad, it's got like zero timing in it in the mid range and cruising area's.

Don't have closed loop enabled at 60 degrees and alter the open loop table to aim for 1.00 at operating temp in open loop.

The VE table seems pretty damn fat with how large those injectors are. I can't see the log to see if there is a wideband reporting data.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    There is a format that monitors AFR actual and AFR Error, i may have accidentally used an older version of the tune on the DTC's. I will Look at that. It is not cruizing, it was just started and idled/revved a tad. I uploaded the correct layout file , going to look at it to see why you and i can not see that.

I can't view the log because I'm using older software.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Excuses

Tuner
    what is the issue with HPTuner layouts? Shouldn't that be a factory prestet?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    https://www.virtualbox.org/

That way you can run current and older without using different computers.

Senior Tuner
    Sounds like not enough fuel. Why is cranking VE so low?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Folken View Post
    Running 05 5.3, straight e85, Deka 80's .585 Cam 3 Bar. I have to crank the car 3 times Cold then it starts. Has a hanging throttle issue that very slowly comes down to 875 Rpm. Once the engine warms up it idles good, will get hot though. Radiator is actually cold to touch and the scanner reads over 220 F. Going to take a look into the thermostat obviously. If the engine is warm it will not start back up but will not ever stall prior to that. I am running the 3 wire ECT sensor installed in the DS front Head. Let it get cold as it sits a couple hours, starts hard but starts. I will hop on the laptop and post a read as is and the log after.
    Have you verified it builds fuel pressure quickly and holds it during start?
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Have you verified it builds fuel pressure quickly and holds it during start?
    I can try to have Someone watch or crank it for me, i never did a static flow on the injectors. I believe on a high flow test on 10 seconds they were about 36LBS/HR after i worked out the math. They say Deka but that doesn't mean anything. I may throw a set of 210's back in it. I really need to build a big flow bench so i can do a 60 second static test. The funny thing is you may get a set of 210's that match and the static test shows a lower flow rate but the engineer will fill in the data so you know what you are starting with. I am just winging it, put it back together in April and maybe go tinker a little bit on the weekend.

Tuner
    I ran it out of fuel again today. I guess 5 gallons of e85 burns off pretty quickly.

Tuner
    It was propably that low from back when i had 210's in it. I was having issues with some of my changes saving before i did the firmware update. I changed the cranking VE now it starts up ok and restarts hot so that is good. More importantly I replaced the thermostat with one from a 2000 Camaro SS 187 Degree. It was getting hot before, apparently that thermostat was stuck because the radiator never got hot. Now it reads up to 201 Degree ECT and goes back down from there. Still acts like it wants more fuel when i give it throttle, idle is ok though 13.9-14.2:1. Bigger injectors are not here yet, i flowed 2 other sets of 210's 5 of 8 in my good set were stuck closed so i can't use those.