Thread: Throttle pedal keeps going dead??

Potential Tuner

Throttle pedal keeps going dead??

Hello gentleman,

I just finished a LM7 (5.3), 4l60e swap on a 1966 Chevy van. After a couple test drives the DBW throttle pedal keeps going dead. I have swapped out the engine harness (ebay), TAC module and harness from TAC to pedal. I'm at a complete loss...

The codes it currently has are:

P0102 Mass or Volume Air Flow A circuit Low (SES pending, Current. History)
    P0327 Knock Sensor 1 Circuit Low (Bank 1) (Pending, Current)
    P0332 Knock Sensor 2 Circuit Low (Bank 2) (Pending, Current)
    P1518 Electric Throttle Module to PCM Communication (SES pending, Current. History)

I have attached the tune file..
    Attached Files Attached Files

Stop changing parts at random and diagnose the P1518.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the reply. Do you have any suggestions on how to diagnose the P1518 issue?

Service manual?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Olen View Post
    Thank you for the reply. Do you have any suggestions on how to diagnose the P1518 issue?
    DTC P1518 sets because no communication is detected by the TAC module from the PCM. Inspect related circuits for being shorted to a B+ supply circuit. Inspect the TAC module power and ground circuits and the TAC module/PCM serial data circuits for intermittent connections.

P1518 CHEVROLET - Electronic Throttle Module to PCM Communication

Condition/Concern:
    Customers may have a concern of lack of power and engine light on. DTCs set will almost always contain a P1518 and may contain any of the following (P1516, P2108, P0220, P0120, U0107). An improperly torqued TAC module ground may be at fault. The Ground is listed as G104 on TAC module schematic which is incorrectly labeled on SI document ID 855376. The correct ground is G103. The locator for SI states that G103 is located on the left hand side which is incorrect. However, there have been field reports stating that G104 has also corrected this condition. G104 is a horizontal bolt in the rear of the left head and extremely difficult to reach. G104 should also be tightened at the same time.

There have also been field cases where ground G110 on the outer drivers side frame rail caused a P1518 code and an intermittent connection at splice 102 on the intake.

All published SI diagnostics should be followed in addition to following the recommendation listed.
    Recommendation/Instructions:

Tighten ground G103 located behind the right cylinder head (passenger side) just below the head and mounted into the block. The ground uses a 13 mm bolt head mounted vertically to the engine block just above the bell housing.

• DTC P1518 sets if the battery voltage is low. If the customer's concern is slow cranking or no crank because battery voltage is low, ignore DTC P1518. Clear any DTCs from memory that may have set from the low battery voltage condition.
    • DTC P1518 sets when there is a short to B+ on the TAC module ground circuit. Inspect the fuses for the circuits that are in the TAC module harness--i.e. cruise, brake. An inspection of the fuses may lead you to the circuit that is shorted to the TAC module ground circuit.
    • DTC P1518 sets if the TAC module ignition feed circuit is shorted to a B+ supply circuit. The TAC module stays powered-up when the ignition switch is turned OFF. When the ignition switch is turned ON, the TAC module is powered-up before the PCM. DTC P1518 sets because no communication is detected by the TAC module from the PCM. Inspect related circuits for being shorted to a B+ supply circuit.
    • Inspect the TAC module power and ground circuits and the TAC module/PCM serial data circuits for intermittent connections.
    • Inspect the TAC module connectors for signs of water intrusion. If water intrusion occurs, multiple DTCs may set without any circuit or component conditions found during diagnostic testing.
    • When the TAC module detects a problem within the TAC system, more than 1 TAC system related DTC may set. This is due to the many redundant tests run continuously on this system. Locating and repairing an individual condition may correct more than 1 DTC. Remember this if you review the stored information in Capture Info.

Conditions for Setting the DTC
    • The TAC module detects that the predicted and the actual throttle positions are not within a calibrated range of each other.
    • The PCM and the TAC cannot determine the throttle position.
    • Both of the TP sensors are invalid.
    • All of the above conditions are met for more than 1 second.

Condition/Concern:
    A vehicle may be brought into the dealer for a reduced power message, and DTCs P0120, P0220, P1516, P2101, or P2135.

The Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) / throttle body type trouble codes, may be caused by a loose wiring crimp at the throttle body connector, or a broken throttle body circuit.

Recommendation/Instructions:
    Complete the current SI diagnostics for any symptoms or trouble codes found. If a intermittent T/P or TAC module type code is occurring complete the inspections below.

Inspect all related throttle body terminals for a loose wiring crimp. The loose crimp may be difficult to find, and the poor connection will be between the terminal and the copper strands of the wire. Wiggle test the individual throttle body circuits to see if the concern can be duplicated.
    Inspect the related circuits for broken wires inside the insulation. The outer wire insulation may look fine, but the internal copper strands may be partially broken. Breaks in the wires usually occur within 1 to 4 inches of the throttle body connector. Wiggle testing may also induce a trouble code to set.
    On C/K trucks complete SI procedures for voltage drop on grounds G103 and G104. Grounds G103 or G104 may be loose or corroded.

If a terminal crimp or a broken wire has been found, repair or replace only the circuits involved.

Potential Tuner
    Thank you Horsepowerguru!!

Potential Tuner
    When the throttle pedal goes dead, I wiggle the fuses on the harness block and the pedal comes back. This is leading me to think there is a bad connection at the fuse block. Should I replace the fuse block, if so which one do you recommend?

Advanced Tuner
    May be able to narrow it down to 1 wire and re-pin if needed?

Advanced Tuner
    I would try to narrow it down to a specific wire or connector (or whatever) with wiggle tests and continuity checks. Id FIX the problem unless the only option is to replace it.

Potential Tuner
    I think I got it figured out. I added a few more grounds and make sure all the connections were super clean. One from the battery to the head (where the harness connects). Then added another to the TAC module. So far, there has not been any more issues. Thank you guys for all your support. Much appreciated!!!