Thread: Make E-Fan kick on when A/C is on P59 PCM?

Tuner in Training

Make E-Fan kick on when A/C is on P59 PCM?

I ditched the mechanical fan on my daily driver 2004 Sierra a while back and I replaced it with an electric fan. I used a Taurus or MK VII??? style fan. I initially used this style fan on my turbo LQ4 truck. Since it works so well there, I just started using the Taurus fan on everything else.

Anyways, I have the PCM controlling the fan just fine, I made my own wiring harness and use a monster 125A relay even though it's surely overkill.

What I would like to do, is make the PCM kick the fan on when the A/C is on. So far, everything I have tried doesn't work. I have read mixed and scattered information about what needs to be done to accomplish this but I'm not sure what is true or pertinent to this application????

If I have to keep using a toggle switch to force the fan on during A/C months, no big deal I guess. Sure would be nice to make the PCM control the fan when A/C is on.

Side note, I run R152A aka electronics duster in my A/C and it works very well. I feel it performs better than R134A. Not to mention it's cheaper and probably better for the environment than R134A is......

Advanced Tuner
    post the tune

Senior Tuner
    Tie in to the compressor harness?

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CDeeZ View Post
    I ditched the mechanical fan on my daily driver 2004 Sierra a while back and I replaced it with an electric fan. I used a Taurus or MK VII??? style fan. I initially used this style fan on my turbo LQ4 truck. Since it works so well there, I just started using the Taurus fan on everything else.

Anyways, I have the PCM controlling the fan just fine, I made my own wiring harness and use a monster 125A relay even though it's surely overkill.

What I would like to do, is make the PCM kick the fan on when the A/C is on. So far, everything I have tried doesn't work. I have read mixed and scattered information about what needs to be done to accomplish this but I'm not sure what is true or pertinent to this application????

If I have to keep using a toggle switch to force the fan on during A/C months, no big deal I guess. Sure would be nice to make the PCM control the fan when A/C is on.

Side note, I run R152A aka electronics duster in my A/C and it works very well. I feel it performs better than R134A. Not to mention it's cheaper and probably better for the environment than R134A is......

That truck should have a AC pressure sensor and so you should be able to copy all of the fan settings out of a truck that came with efans.. By 05+ most 1500's had them if you look in the repository.

If you don't have a AC pressure sensor. I sell a "A/C Bump circuit" It takes a input from the compressor and mixes it with ECM's fan controls to mix in fan control with the A/C being on. If the fans are on low and A/C is turned on the fans go to high, If the fans are off and A/C is turned on the fans go to low.. Etc.

https://www.pcmofnc.com/product/hot-...-bump-circuit/
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Senior Tuner
    That's a nice part.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    That truck should have a AC pressure sensor and so you should be able to copy all of the fan settings out of a truck that came with efans.. By 05+ most 1500's had them if you look in the repository.

If you don't have a AC pressure sensor. I sell a "A/C Bump circuit" It takes a input from the compressor and mixes it with ECM's fan controls to mix in fan control with the A/C being on. If the fans are on low and A/C is turned on the fans go to high, If the fans are off and A/C is turned on the fans go to low.. Etc.

https://www.pcmofnc.com/product/hot-...-bump-circuit/
    Alvin!!! Turns out the truck DOES have a pressure sensor so you are right! All I did was copy the fan AC pressure settings from a tune file from a buddies 06 Silverado with factory fans and voila! I always love a simple fix. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

That bump circuit does look like a good solution for those who don't have a pressure sensor already.

This is doubly good news as I just recently begrudgingly replaced the fan clutch on another truck of mine, an 03 2500HD. I checked that truck and it has this same sensor, so, it must be possible on that one as well. That truck will eventually get a Taurus fan as well now that I know I can make the fan come on with the A/C.

Thanks again.

Now maybe if I want to further refine my electric fan conversions, I could add the low speed functionality. I've just been running them on high speed only.

This must be the pressure sensor I suppose? It's on one of the lines coming off of the compressor:
    Last edited by CDeeZ; 06-06-2023 at 05:40 PM.