Thread: E40 2005 Corvette replacing PCM and transferring tune to it.

Tuner in Training

E40 2005 Corvette replacing PCM and transferring tune to it.

I am replacing the PCM in a 2005 Corvette. The old PCM was tuned with HP tuners, so I read the tune and saved it as a file on my laptop. I bought a new PCM and a GM program the new PCM to my Vin number. Now I?m trying to write the tune that I got from the old PCM to the new PCM and there is a message at the bottom before I click on WRITE, it says WRITE calibration selected for E 40, but operating system IDs are different. I just want to make sure before I do anything that this is fine. It?s just merely pointing out that the PCM is different?--

Senior Tuner
    No it's not fine. There may have been an updated calibration from GM for that VIN that got programmed in the new ECM hence the OS difference. Without checking on tis2web it is only a guess. You should read the new ECM and compare all the segment numbers to to what is in the old file. E40s are easy to brick.

Senior Tuner
    I agree,

I'd contact your tuner and let him make the new OS file for you. You cannot just write that file in and if you try you will likely brick it.

If you don't want to retune completely you'll end up copying select parts of the old tune into the new one. I'd suggest checking up everything if you do go this way.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Thanks guys, I emailed HP Tuners and was told I just need to read the new Ecu then take my tune file and write entire. I did that, although didn't attempt to start the car after as it isn't ready to run. That and now a new issue popped up where I can't shift the transmission into reverse (M6) Ugh. I'll be sure to report back once I get it running in about a week.

Quote Originally Posted by streetking408ys View Post
    was told I just need to read the new Ecu then take my tune file and write entire.
    I hope that's a typo. You should have read & saved the file from the new ECM, then copied in all the changes made in your old file.

Senior Tuner
    Thanks guys, I emailed HP Tuners and was told I just need to read the new Ecu then take my tune file and write entire. I did that, although didn't attempt to start the car after as it isn't ready to run. That and now a new issue popped up where I can't shift the transmission into reverse (M6) Ugh. I'll be sure to report back once I get it running in about a week.
    That could be a sign you bricked it and the reverse lockout is fubared now.

Senior Tuner
    That's a recipe for disaster. hopefully you haven't bricked it
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    That's a recipe for disaster. hopefully you haven't bricked it
    Yeah I haven't touched it since, I'll have to figure that out. How will I know if it's bricked? If it is bricked, is the thing essentially a core and not repairable?

Tuner in Training
    Just an update. Didn't get to really do much today except I believe I figured out the "can't physically shift to reverse" which is important on the '05 vette as that's what will trigger power down of the ignition. I disconnected the reverse lockout solenoid and tested for 12v on the power pin in the connector and had 0 volts. Back up a bit.....the car has ZR1 diff and ZR1 exhaust.......getting the passenger side muffler/inlet pipe assembly out of the car is a bitch and I have to lower the rear cradle for clearance. When I pulled the mufflers out last week I had noticed that over the years the 12v wire (same color red with white tracer) on the Evap vent valve had insulation rubbed away in a tiny spot and copper was exposed. Anyway I went through the factory service manual and traced the wiring diagrams to the #13 fuse (25 amp) in the under hood fuse box. Sure enough it's burned. The wiring schematic showed a splice and when I looked up the vent valve wire sure enough it's the same one. Must have shorted to ground at some point removing the exhaust. Fixed the wire, installed new fuse and I can shift into reverse again. I'll mess with the new PCM thing soon.