Thread: Have a al5 tcm from a 05 lly wont shift to 6th gear.

Have a al5 tcm from a 05 lly wont shift to 6th gear.

SO LOG STORY SHORT I INSTALLED A 2011 VALVE BODY IN MY 2003 LB7 AND IM USING A LLY TCM TO COTROL THE SHIFTING. All the solenoids work perfectly and I have gears 1-5 reverse neutral and park. In the tcm calibration it has 5-6 shift speeds and pressures I am commanding the 6th gear at speeds around 50 but I noticed the truck will only shift to 5th and lock up the convertor. I have set all the shift pressures and torque converter solenoid to mimic a 2011 and up valve body. my tcm OS is 15196784 has anyone else had issues with commanding the 6th gear on the AL5 CONTROLLER? It also seems like the 04.5 and 2005 tcms are missing the trans diagnostics tab in the vcm editor? Every 02-04 tcm i have looked at have trans diag for the codes they store in the tcm one being P1717 Incorrect 6th gear ratio which the 04.5-05 have non you cann enable or disable why is that especially when the tcm has diag on normal obd2 scanners like my autel? I also noticed we have no gear ratio tabs to input our data or max 1-6 max rpm shift points like 06 and up and i do understand the 06 uses a A40 controller vs the AL5 on 01-05 Allison 1000 transmissions.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by EXPO0187; 06-20-2023 at 10:48 PM.

Never mind I figured the calibration side of the valve body swap 1-6 gear is now working and truck seems to run much more quite on the hwy at 60 to 80 mph. The truck is my little brothers TRUE 05 Escalade Platinum Custom interior swapped 02 LB7. The calibration also has 6th gear used in Tow-Hual mode with great pulling behavior and limited 6th gear kick down below 65 mph.

I GOT THIS VALVE BODY SWAP DONE FOR AROUND $1200 to 1500 using a used VB, If you cant navigate wiring and calibrating go with a pre-made kit or hire someone to help.

Parts Uesd:
    - 2011 lml Valve Body
    - LLY TCM W/Proprietary HPT Flash (Fully Adjustable)

6th gear AL5.jpg5th gear AL5.jpg

here is 60 mph difference on this truck with 18" wheels annd 32.01 g2 nittos 3:73 rear diff 2500 silverado hd

Potential Tuner
    You're awesome I've been looking at the 6speed conversion for quite some time and wondered why I couldn't just use a newer valve body and tune. Where did you get the tcm file?

Did you ever find a tcm file for the 6th gear conversion if you need help just let me know.

Advanced Tuner
    Wait. What if I already have an LLY? I can just slam a newer valvebody in it? I thought you "had" to use the ATS or suncoast deal?

You will need a proper calibration for the tcm as well as a 06-09 or 10-19 valve body to make and you will have to wire it properly to operate right.

Ya have done a few now they have all been operating great and when done properly will save on fuel cost and add performance as well. I like to run 6th in my normal and tow haul calibration just finished up a LML trans swap in a 2002 lb7 2500 complete with LML transfer case think I'm the first to do such a mod.

This not a simple change out the valve body swap you also to have to have the internal harness correct to operate your valve body. If anyone needs help let me know I'm in North Ga and have a shop.

Advanced Tuner
    I am thinking about doing this for my LLY. I picked up an LB7 trans that i am going to build and was thinking might as well do the 6 speed swap. Is there a file to load into the stock TCM that works? What valve body is easier to work with? Are the only wiring mods done inside the transmisson or does the truck harness need stuff done to it? Very interested and appre
    2008 Denali XL AWD LSA Blower
    2010 CTS-V
    2005 LLY Duramax SAS
    2015 Denali