Thread: 2006 LBZ Tune Write Failed Now No Crank/Start

Potential Tuner

2006 LBZ Tune Write Failed Now No Crank/Start

This is my second LBZ and probably the 10th-12th vehicle I've read and written tunes to since 2012 ish and this is the first time I've ever encountered this issue.

The truck was tuned when I bought it, no idea who tuned it. Bought the truck in Kansas and I live in Texas so long shot of finding the original tuner.

I was able to read the tune and save the file and send it off to the guy that has done my tuning for 10+ years, he sent me back a new tune file to write in. Bought my credits since he used his own file rather than whatever was on the truck, went to write the tune and it froze at 7.7% and then failed. This was with a write entire, as I wasnt sure if the OS was changing or not, I just wanted a fresh clean slate.

I've tried pulling fuses, making sure both batteries are completely charged up, new cable for my MPVI to PC, same story. Always fails at 7.7%. That is, when it doesnt give me the x7F error code.

Write calibration only does nothing.

There is no option or tick box to turn off high speed write anymore, at least that I can see or find.

I'm really trying to avoid having my truck towed into a stealership in hopes that they can flash the ECM back to factory but I am out of ideas so I was hoping someone here might have another solution I can try before resulting to towing it on Monday.

More notes, no after market radio, alarm, remote start etc etc. The only aftermarket electrical component on the truck is a FASS Lift Pump but I have pulled the fuse for that so it doesnt run constantly while the key is on.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by zachm89; 06-09-2023 at 01:22 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Have you tried to "write entire" with a stock file?

Potential Tuner
    I have tried write entire with 4 different files, one of which is supposed to be a stock LBZ file. All have the same result

Quote Originally Posted by zachm89 View Post
    I have tried write entire with 4 different files, one of which is supposed to be a stock LBZ file. All have the same result
    That's odd LBZ do not normal have an issues flashing. Send me you VIN and Ill get you a stock file with matching segments.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Tuned View Post
    That's odd LBZ do not normal have an issues flashing. Send me you VIN and Ill get you a stock file with matching segments.
    Sent you a DM

Potential Tuner
    Having identical issue on 06 Duramax. Only thing I questioned was it had an edge evolution but we wrote stock tune back to truck with the edge and then disconnected it before we did any writing with HP.
    What is my Options?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bww92ls1 View Post
    Having identical issue on 06 Duramax. Only thing I questioned was it had an edge evolution but we wrote stock tune back to truck with the edge and then disconnected it before we did any writing with HP.
    What is my Options?
    I ended up having mine towed to a GM dealership and had the ECM reflashed. $150 for the tow and $150 for the reflash and I can drive the truck again.

Banned
    try unplugging the fuse for the radio and amplifier before flashing.

Tuner in Training
    If you still can't get through with the radio unplugged, there's a splice pack, SP205 IIRC. That is a CAN bus splice pack. Pull out the splice connector and connect only the DLC and ECM terminals. That will remove all other modules from the communication loop.

Potential Tuner
    Little late update to this. After getting the truck flashed back to stock at the dealership I just drove it with the stock tune on it for the last few months. Got tired of the truck being stock and sluggish so I decided to try and write a tune to it again and what do you know, same crap happened again. I FINALLY found something in this thread --> https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...CM-Read-failed <-- that I had not tried before, disconnecting the TCM. Did that and Ill be damned, it wrote the freakin tune in first try. That being said, after driving the truck for about half an hour, the tune needs some big time work. BUT, if you're having this issue, maybe try unplugging your TCM and give it another shot.

Thanks for the update!
    2006 GTO 403ci lsa heads kooks long tubes corsa ss exhaust OTR intake HPTuned

2010 GMC Sierra LMM Duramax. Exhaust and tuned

i had a problem with my gasser 06 silverado having an issue with the dorman hvac controller in the truck. i pulled the hvac fuse and problem went away. it had an issue with hpt and efilive.
    07 classic