Thread: "Brickable"

Tuner

"Brickable"

When going to write a calibration and the red "Brickable" Warning is displayed, does that mean this is much more likely to brick this ecu? Or what is the warning about?

Quote Originally Posted by Oneandoneauto View Post
    When going to write a calibration and the red "Brickable" Warning is displayed, does that mean this is much more likely to brick this ecu? Or what is the warning about?
    It means that the procedure you are about to do has the potential to brick the computer. It is not likely but it is a possibility. Many factors go into what causes it. Most common in my opinion is the P59. Often times something like the radio or an aftermarket radio that is tied into the serial data stream will communicate with the PCM and cause an error that "bricks" the module. Other-times it is from a low battery condition or a charger that has a large ripple. I have unbricked MANY of them and some have been permanently bricked. Things like reading will not brick the module. Unfortunately it's just the game we play. It happens even when I use SPS (GM's factory programming with factory MDI module).
    This is why all modules that I program are done Off Board.

Tuner
    Couple follow up questions, I seen it pop on on a vehicle that i didnt even modify anything, i just hit write to see what the write process looks like and noticed it. Does that mean if it DOES NOT SAY "brickable" then it will not happen? Also when you say off board, do you mean like bench or boot method programming? What process do you use to try and unbrick them?

I have never bricked an ECM/PCM/TCM doing a regular right or read. Only when doing factory programming and write entire. Could it happen? I suppose so but I think it would be an anomaly based more on the probability of it dying at that moment in time regardless of what was done. I don't sweat those as it isn't brain surgery where someone could die. More of an inconvenience of needing another module and programming/credits cost.
    Off board=bench.
    unbrick process involves removing cover and temporarily grounding a terminal and IMMEDIATELY programming. I once unbricked a single P59 4 times straight.