Thread: Stock HPT file for US Focus RS 2016

Potential Tuner

Stock HPT file for US Focus RS 2016

Hello

I have experience tuning the GM platform with HPTuners, but this will be my first time with a Ford. I purchased a used Focus RS (2016) from a dealer. The past owner already had a tune flashed with a COBB but I dont have access to the past owner, or to the COBB used for this.

When I tried to read the tune with my device, it shows as blocked (which is to be expected). Im aware that I have to start from scratch and that I will loose whatever tune is in the car which is fine since anyways, my idea is to tune my own car completely. Usually the best way to solve this is to download a stock file and tune from there. Problem is, depending on the platform, this might or might not require additional credits. Question is:

1. I have seen a few stock hpt files on the boards, but im unaware where they came from. Is there somebody with a stock tune from a 2016 US car that can share it with me?
    2. You know if using that file on my car requires additional credits? (some mustangs allow the use of stock files straight in, but some GM's dont)

Thanks

Senior Tuner
    It's your lucky day. The HPT repository happens to have a 2016 Focus RS. There are two tunes listed as Ford Focus 2.3L. Here they are. VIN checks out.

Also, keep the whole VIN thing in mind when you go flashing the tune. Should just be able to put in your VIN from under the windshield glass, but not sure if it'll work that way on these platforms. If you don't have the right VIN that may lead to problems.

https://www.hptuners.com/help/VCM-Ed...change_vin.htm

Well maybe not...it looks like you can't change the VIN in the tune. Seems that the VIN isn't written as part of the tune, and your original VIN won't be affected. Good to go.

Try a write-config first. Write-entire as last resort.

Confirmation on the whole VIN thing might come when the tune is read-out from the PCM after flashed with one of the attached files. Should see the new tune with your VIN (in VCM Editor it's Edit>Calibration Details).

Let me know how it goes I'm curious about this one. Never been in the whole missing/locked tune situation with a Ford.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by SiriusC1024; 06-14-2023 at 05:56 AM.

If it's been flashed using a COBB, it will need a full factory Ford flash before you can even start read/writing the card as the ECU will contain COBB custom code in the firmware hence why you can't read it.

Get the ECU completely restored to full stock firmware and then you can read it and go from there.

Advanced Tuner
    should be able to restore factory calibration using forscan

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    It's your lucky day. The HPT repository happens to have a 2016 Focus RS. There are two tunes listed as Ford Focus 2.3L. Here they are. VIN checks out.

Also, keep the whole VIN thing in mind when you go flashing the tune. Should just be able to put in your VIN from under the windshield glass, but not sure if it'll work that way on these platforms. If you don't have the right VIN that may lead to problems.

https://www.hptuners.com/help/VCM-Ed...change_vin.htm

Well maybe not...it looks like you can't change the VIN in the tune. Seems that the VIN isn't written as part of the tune, and your original VIN won't be affected. Good to go.

Try a write-config first. Write-entire as last resort.

Confirmation on the whole VIN thing might come when the tune is read-out from the PCM after flashed with one of the attached files. Should see the new tune with your VIN (in VCM Editor it's Edit>Calibration Details).

Let me know how it goes I'm curious about this one. Never been in the whole missing/locked tune situation with a Ford.
    Really appreciate it. Will give it a go and let you know!

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill88stang View Post
    should be able to restore factory calibration using forscan
    I have been able to reset all learned parameters with forscan (for example fuel trims) but not the actual tune. Any idea on how to do this?

Need a specific BETA version of Forscan to do it.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by CFGBR95 View Post
    Need a specific BETA version of Forscan to do it.
    I just sent you a PM. If you can provide more specific information that would be awesome. Thank you