Thread: What do I actually need...?

Potential Tuner

What do I actually need...?

I'm sure for most of you this is going to be a pretty redundant thread, but after searching the forums and finding so much information that answers so many questions on how to use the tuning hardware and software, I haven't found much in the way of assuring me that I'm buying everything I need to make it work in the first place.

I've been working spinning my own wrenches and making my own horsepower for 30 years, but this will be the first time I dip my toe into the waters of ECM tuning on my own. I have always left this up to someone else in the past, but I really want to try it and see what I can accomplish. My car is 2002 Camaro Z28/SS that's all stock at the moment, so I'm not expecting world beating improvements from just tuning, but I figure this will be a good platform to learn the basics on before I start modifying it and trying to learn to tune after making major engine mods.

I THINK I know what I need hardware wise, but I was hoping someone could make sure I'm getting the right stuff before I pull the trigger. I have an MPVI3, 2 credits and a PROLINK+ in my cart at the moment. Do I need a wideband set up right away? If so, which one would be the easiest to integrate with the MPVI3 and my car. I don't plan on boosting it anytime soon and if this car gets any mods, it will likely only be headers and a cam for the foreseeable future, so I'm really just hoping to use it to learn without causing any damage.

Does anyone have any "I wish I would have been told" or "I wish I had this in the beginning" advise for me?

I appreciate you all and am anxious to get tuning!

I may be counter to what others will recommend.
    You don't need your wideband right away. You do need it for heavy throttle/load pulls and WOT. All of the rest like idle cruise light and even medium throttle can be handled by narrow bands as long as you don't have a butt ton of add on like boosted applications. There is a TON you can do and learn without it. You wouldn't believe how much you can change/improve the way a vehicle drives with nothing more than transmission tuning. Eventually as you get more involved with parts and throttle you will need that wideband.

You also don't necessarily need the Prolink, either, if the wideband is the only thing you'd use it for. There are other (free, and supported) ways to get WB data into the scanner.

Advanced Tuner
    One thing people seem to get into their head is that there is only ONE way to tune something. They see something on Youtube and think that anything that says different is junk. There are many approaches and different ways to monitor or adjust things. READ READ READ. Theres tons of write up on Gen3 stuff and anything you need to know can be found on this forum, youtube, other forums, or companies you can pay to teach you. The search feature is your best friend. If you dont know what a table or setting in the tune does, literally just google that table. If you want to know about end of injection timing (EOIT) then google "injection timing hp tuners" and read til you understand.

Potential Tuner
    I appreciate your responses. I know I've seen plenty of videos and tutorials about adding the wideband to the EGR pinout on the ECU, which would allow you to log it directly though the computer, I just wasn't sure if that was an easier option than the PROLINK+. I don't have any intentions of adding a power adder to this specific car, so it's not going to be necessary to add a boost reference, so maybe I'll just hold off on the PL+ for now.

Tuner in Training
    I am not an old sage in ECM's but I have 40 years experience in programming and configuring industrial control systems (DCS/PLC/SCADA,etc.). I got HP Tuners to turn off the stupid Displacement on Demand on my 2019 Silverado LD. I realize there many adjustments to optimize the power with a wideband O2 when using a dyno or specific track times. Based on your plan to "play" with the configurations, I agree with the lack of immediate need for a wide band. Making small incremental changes and documenting what and why you change things is the best method to understand what is happening. ALWAYS Have the original configuration so you can restore after some less than optimal change! Never edit your original configuration! There are some indirect and convoluted aspects to changes which may not be obvious. Since changes to the ECM may also impact Transmission (TCM) activity, I recommend keeping notes and using the forum searches to understand these interactions. When I swap my DOD cam, I will do headers and bump up the cam a little so I am working through everything before I do the physical DOD delete and then, I will get the wideband to get the tune correct. Good luck and don't be afraid to ask questions.
    Bernie Pella
    [email protected]

Potential Tuner
    I appreciate you sir. My car is actually a 6 speed so I don't have to worry about a TCM, but I will definitely take your advice and store the stock tune safely.