Thread: Gm Connect and cruise LS3 4l65e Dakota Digital Gauges

Tuner in Training

Gm Connect and cruise LS3 4l65e Dakota Digital Gauges

Hey just curious if anyone has any experience with the GM connect and cruise LS3 package. I'm running a ECM and a TCM from GM performance came with the complete package. Im using the Dakota Digital RTX gauges. I have the BIM-01-2 OBDII Interface that plugs into the OBDII port and receives all gauge information from the computer. I have used several of these on earlier big computer RED/BLUE & GREEN/BLUE vehicles with success. Excuse my lack of terminology when it comes to the computers and LS engines. But the newer LS3 Small baby computer Usually does not need a transmission control module because the TCM is inside the 6-8-10 speed automatics. But since I did not want to cut the trans tunnel I opted for the 4l65E and the separate Transmission control module. Everything is amazing. Everything works perfectly.

Except the PRND321 Indicator on the gauges. Just stays in N. My BIM is set to on in the gear position area. It shows up on the gauges.

In the HP tuners scanner I see all engine information like I normally would. But I can not add actual gear position in my tables like I normally can. Normally I can drive the vehicle and watch it shift from 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4TH tcc downshift etc. But on this connect and cruise I can not access that information. I will try again one more time.

The gm connect and cruise package came with everything including the 4l65E transmission control module that piggy backs onto the ECM. It came with its own transmission tuning software. I used this software to set my gear ratio, tire size, and to check MPH accuracy. This software shows my Gear position when driving and mph. The only gear position I never see is P. I believe due to Park being a mechanical lock while the transmission stays in neutral.

So HP tuners no gear position coming from ECM.

Gm transmission software showing gear position! But not communication with the ECM and not sending information to the gauges.

I have the universal GSS-3000 Gear shift sensor kit STILL in the BOX. and I do not want to use it. I would like to figure out how to get that information from the TCM to communicate with the ECM so it then can be displayed on my gauges without the extra luggage.

Thank you anyone that chimes in with some information. I found this forum very helpful when I could not figure out why the vehicle would not shift and why the speedo was not working. I never would have tried to program the ECM for a manual transmission while I was running an automatic transmission if it was not for the forum. I wasted 8 hours checking all wiring and VSS when the whole time it was a small program change. Hoping to find some quality information on this matter as well. Thanks.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Brand New Classics; 06-15-2023 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Changing tune file

Tuner in Training
    "I opted for the 4l65E and the separate Transmission control module."

And what manufacturer and model number?

Tuner in Training
    I did mention in the post that I have that gear selector kit. Im trying to avoid using it. I would like to figure it out through the computer rather than throwing some universal parts at it. Thank you @the mechanic.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by chumba View Post
    "I opted for the 4l65E and the separate Transmission control module."

And what manufacturer and model number?
    19302409 Instruction sheet for supermatic connect and cruise TC-2 transmission control system purchased from GM Performance. I got everything from the dealership. Runs and drives amazing just want the challenge of figuring out the gear slector on the dakota gauges through the programming instead of the universal cheesy sensor. Theres got to be something in a ctsv ecm with the paddle shifters that communicates with ecm trough the can bus or obd2, what gear it is on the dashboard of a stock vehicle so I would imagine its doable with the right changes to the tune file. Any time you paddle shift in a car it tells you what gear your in. Should feed that information to my gauges as well. I think its just in the bare bones connect and cruise tune. Might be a simple change or might not be possible. any guidance is appreciated.
    Last edited by Brand New Classics; 06-15-2023 at 11:47 PM.

Tuner
    Recently our shop has finished installation of LS3 crate with 4L80E to Bremach T-Rex.
    First step was to throw away E67 and Supermatic to the trash can
    Then we made custom harness based on Tahoe '08 with E38 and T42.
    ECM calibration was based on '08 Corvette LS3 and TCM on '08 Express 2500. But that was a mistake, LS3 crate has 09+ throttle, so I have to mess with TAC and Throttle calibration. Next project I'll start with '09 Corvette.

Now we have perfectly working GMLAN powertrain with discrete Crank Request, AC Request and redundant Brake Signals. And it's ready to fit BCM if customer will want remote start, cruise, paddle shifter, tow/haul mode switch or some GMLAN IPC.

I don't understand why GM Performance used this junky Supermatic TCM which doesn't communicate with ECM and consequently without torque management.
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by verlon View Post
    Recently our shop has finished installation of LS3 crate with 4L80E to Bremach T-Rex.
    First step was to throw away E67 and Supermatic to the trash can
    Then we made custom harness based on Tahoe '08 with E38 and T42.
    ECM calibration was based on '08 Corvette LS3 and TCM on '08 Express 2500. But that was a mistake, LS3 crate has 09+ throttle, so I have to mess with TAC and Throttle calibration. Next project I'll start with '09 Corvette.

Now we have perfectly working GMLAN powertrain with discrete Crank Request, AC Request and redundant Brake Signals. And it's ready to fit BCM if customer will want remote start, cruise, paddle shifter, tow/haul mode switch or some GMLAN IPC.

I don't understand why GM Performance used this junky Supermatic TCM which doesn't communicate with ECM and consequently without torque management.
    Yeah im not super impressed with the gm harness and control system. Next time ill run the same setup but with a CBM Motorsports harness. I did install the dakota Universal crap last night. Just was hoping to figure it out through the computer.