Thread: Gen 3 F150 Coyote Swap Tuning

Potential Tuner

Gen 3 F150 Coyote Swap Tuning

Hi all, new to the modular tuning world as I was coming from the ancient binary editor/ moates quarterhorse tuning. I just finished up my Gen3 coyote swap using a 2019 F150 engine and a Mustang gen 3 manual control pack. Motor is completely stock (stock f150 cams) but 18+ mustang intake and with the exception of a custom 4" style CAI/MAF housing and full 3" longtube exhaust. My control pack ECM was flashed by PBH to compensate for the F150 firing order so I can use the Mustang control pack. Had I known how simple it would be to change a fire order in HPTuners I would have just done that myself as I just purchased a MPIV3. I honestly just need to disable the CMCV/IMRC's but now that I have the hardware I can dial in my MAF curve and fuel and play with the cam timing too. I know there are plenty of different ways to modify the IMRC's, and I read plenty of gen2 threads but I would want to keep the knock sensors functioning and have it drive to as stock if possible. I have 3 codes currently and they are all related to the CMCV's. I would have just kept them but there was no way they would fit or clear. I was wondering if someone could help guide me on this?

Potential Tuner
    Lol prolly just gonna get a lund tune

Advanced Tuner
    Everything you need to know is here on the forums. Search for it, Gen 2 and 3 are very similar with how the IMRC's are disabled. Read the threads that involve disabling half of your mapped points. Gen 1s run the exact same way, just no IMRCs and different angles.
    Read posts on Mapped points, distance tables, IMRC delete, these tables are directly related to all the other "0-26" tables. With your IMRC's locked in the Open position, would you want to run your IMRC closed tables? 0-14 = Disabled. All of your spark tables need to be adjusted, distance tables. Even if your IMRC's were fully functional, you could tune them to run open without using a mechanical limit.

You will gain more from your tune dialing in other areas before messing with OP cam angles.
    I wouldn't suggest disabling your knock sensors, not sure where you heard that but, no, that's not a gen 2 step.

There are many ways to tune and everyone will have their own ways of tuning. Then some folk just get a lund tune.

Senior Tuner
    Should be 0-13 for 26 points. It depends on number of points, and actual enable/disable per MP has a table in the IMRC section.

Quote Originally Posted by 5-oh-mustang View Post
    Hi all, new to the modular tuning world as I was coming from the ancient binary editor/ moates quarterhorse tuning. I just finished up my Gen3 coyote swap using a 2019 F150 engine and a Mustang gen 3 manual control pack. Motor is completely stock (stock f150 cams) but 18+ mustang intake and with the exception of a custom 4" style CAI/MAF housing and full 3" longtube exhaust. My control pack ECM was flashed by PBH to compensate for the F150 firing order so I can use the Mustang control pack. Had I known how simple it would be to change a fire order in HPTuners I would have just done that myself as I just purchased a MPIV3. I honestly just need to disable the CMCV/IMRC's but now that I have the hardware I can dial in my MAF curve and fuel and play with the cam timing too. I know there are plenty of different ways to modify the IMRC's, and I read plenty of gen2 threads but I would want to keep the knock sensors functioning and have it drive to as stock if possible. I have 3 codes currently and they are all related to the CMCV's. I would have just kept them but there was no way they would fit or clear. I was wondering if someone could help guide me on this?
    Actually you dont change firing order in a tune as that table is just for diagnostic and does nothing actually.

Its done with swapping harness/injectors/coils and Ford does this the same way

I can hook you up with a decent base should you be interested.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by veeefour View Post
    Actually you dont change firing order in a tune as that table is just for diagnostic and does nothing actually.

Its done with swapping harness/injectors/coils and Ford does this the same way

I can hook you up with a decent base should you be interested.
    Might be the case for gen2 with swapping all of that, but not gen3. Im using the stock gen3 f150 motor with a mustang gen 3 control pack. Only 2 changes were made to the stock mustang control pack calibration from what I can see and it seems to run fine minus the CMCV delete.

Tuner in Training
    Are you using an f150 or a mustang engine harness?

Quote Originally Posted by 5-oh-mustang View Post
    Might be the case for gen2 with swapping all of that, but not gen3. Im using the stock gen3 f150 motor with a mustang gen 3 control pack. Only 2 changes were made to the stock mustang control pack calibration from what I can see and it seems to run fine minus the CMCV delete.
    I can guarantee that is still a case with 3 gen

Tuner in Training
    Just did the swap. I've got a 2018 F150 that had a bad motor. I purchased the Mustang Long Block from Summit and changed the front timing cover and used everything else from the F150. All we did was repinned the ECU per another post and it works fine. I did change 2 tables in the ECU for firing order and which o2's to use for LTFT. Not sure if it was necessary but truck runs perfect. Just thought I'd share. PBH said it would just be a tuning change but when I got it installed, it would not run so I called and pressed them for info, they said Lund handled the tuning. So, I messaged Lund and they said it had to be repinned and then its a footnote for tuner. So there must be something the tuner does with the altered firing order but at this point, I'm not sure what that may be. Thought I'd share because the Mustang 5.0 is about $1500 cheaper than the F150 Long block. The one from Summit comes complete with Oil, filter, spark plugs and water pump installed. I also changed the water outlet due to it not fitting as tight as the original F150 outlet to the radiator hose. Other than that, it worked.