Thread: Wideband

Wideband

Is the AutoMeter 3870 GS Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge a good choice?
    I have been using the AEM X series but have had two failures now with the head unit. I'd like something a little more reliable.

Jim

Senior Tuner
    Personally, I consider AutoMeter to be the gold standard.

With this wideband, it looks like you'll have to log AFR through HPTuners Prolink or another sensor (AC, EGR, etc.) and create a custom math transform. It's not explicitly supported in scanner, but the product instructions give you the info you need.

https://www.autometer.com/pub/media/.../2650-1469.pdf
    https://www.hptuners.com/help/VCM-Sc...parameters.htm

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Blackwood View Post
    Is the AutoMeter 3870 GS Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge a good choice?
    I have been using the AEM X series but have had two failures now with the head unit. I'd like something a little more reliable.

Jim
    Ive always used Glowshift and ive been pretty happy with them. I Even keep an extra one laying around for doing other peoples tunes. I feel like most people use AEM though.

Tuner in Training
    i have the aem without the gauge and no issues. bounces from car to car and use it a portable when tweaking cars for friends. spose it depends if you want the gauge or not.
    ordered the innovate PSN-1 nitrous safety with a WB input this week for the daily.
    intrigued to see how it goes and its speed in comparison.

I've been using the EGR input for scanning and datalogs with the AEM and with an Innovate before that. It seems to be working well and I see no need to change that. I just want something that will work and not fail. I consider a 200% failure rate to be unacceptable and beyond coincidence so I'm hesitant to stay with AEM, besides which, their little computer plug-in connectors are very far from automotive standards. I just don't trust them.

I think I will contact AutoMeter and see if they can supply a 2-1/16" gage with a black face, chrome bezel, and 14.7 in the 12 o'clock position. I know at least on of their newer series uses that layout.

Jim

Senior Tuner
    Volts = 0.5 (AFR - 10) or AFR = 2 (Volts) + 10