Thread: NAG1 Shifting Issues after "EGS5X Init" and "Reset Adaptives"

Tuner in Training

NAG1 Shifting Issues after "EGS5X Init" and "Reset Adaptives"

Hi all new to HPT. I have a 2006 rt and am having issues with the NAG1 trans. I did a EGS5X initialization as well as resetting the adaptives. Now the transmission shifts very inconsistently from 1-2 and 2-3 then gets stuck in 3rd until I restart the car. Manual mode will not do anything once it gets stuck in 3rd but works fine before it hits third. I get a P0703 "Gear 3 incorrect ratio" code but nothing else relating to the TCM. Has anyone else had this problem? Should also mentioned I have tried 2 different TCM's from various 5.7 2006 chargers and same issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm leaning towards it being either the valve body or conductor plate but am skeptical that something just happened to let go at the same time that I did those procedures.
    Last edited by QuentinC; 06-17-2023 at 05:28 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    its a auto

if it is getting stuck in a gear its in the valve body (programming)

not "something inside the transmission" (mechanical)

figure out how to log the current for the various solenoids and what each does if it is normally open or closed etc

Tuner in Training
    Ok so little update here - I somewhat figured out the issue. I bought the car from someone who was relatively clueless but one of the previous owners did a lot to it back in the day. Anyways, I was unaware of this but the car has a 3.07 SRT differential in it. After programming that as well as the proper tire size (also has SRT rims which are 2" bigger than stock) into the gear/tire window within VCM scanner and doing the EGS5X init, the car is back in business and shifting as it did before.

Now the weird part which I can't figure out. I had to disable the traction control in VCM Scanner which throws the ABS and brake lights. I'm assuming it knocks the abs system offline when this happens but that is the only way it'll shift. If I enable it and restart the car, it will only shift through allt h 3rd gear then stays there until slowing down. It basically acts like a 3 speed. I can shift it manually into 4th/5th but as soon as I put it back into auto mode, it will downshift to 3rd and hang out there.

Really racking my brain on this one.
    Last edited by QuentinC; 06-18-2023 at 11:21 AM.

find out whats causes the abs light…
    thats the way.
    what code is it throwing ?
    the gear ratios, tire size and gear have to be correct…
    Is the tune stock ?

Tuner in Training
    Hi am still having issues with my Nag1 shifting in my 06 RT even after replacing the entire valve body/conductor plate assembly (aka electro-hydraulic unit) and trying 2 different new tcms. At this point I am lost. Let me explain the issue a bit better.

In regular automatic mode (drive) the transmission will not shift beyond 3rd. The shift points are also a little higher rpm than usual and I get a gear 4 ratio incorrect code in the tcm. In manual mode, I can shift through all gears just fine but if I’m cruising in 4th or 5th and put it back into automatic mode it will kick down into 3rd gear.

At this point I am lost and really discouraged. I have some people saying that they think it may be an abs sensor or tone ring at one of the wheels but I do not have an abs/brake light or code.

Tuner in Training
    Hello all, still wondering about this. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. Also replaced plug and seals going into the transmission and checked for bent/missing/corroded pins in the connector and found none. Cleaned all with qp electrical contact cleaner when doing valve body and still no luck.

Advanced Tuner
    Its a speed sensor. Replace the bad speed sensor and it will fix this issue. Common of Dodges to do exactly what you are describing when they have a bad ABS/Speed sensor.
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

Tuner in Training
    sounds like a faulty speed sensor exactly as stageup mentioned hook up a pro scanning tool one which can monitor and log individual speed sonsors you should find the faulty one