Thread: 4.8 4l60e transmision slipping, it is the tune?

Tuner in Training

4.8 4l60e transmision slipping, it is the tune?

New to tuning and havent done a dbw or 4l60e tune.A friend of a friend came to me for help.This is the current tune file that was pulled, the setup is bone stock 4.8 and 4l60e in a 80s fbody. vats is deleted,no rear o2's,no ac. unknown rear gear at the moment. The complaint is that after 10-15 mins of driving highway speeds, the trans would slip/free rev while on the gas but if you let off it will upshift.

Short of trying to find a stock 4.8 tune file with a 4l60e and drive by wire tune to try to compare, does anyone with 4l60e on swap vehicles see anything that could cause trans issues on this file I can correct and learn from?83 camaro 4.8 4l60e.hpt

The car is 2hrs away from me so I cant log anything just yet but would look to be pointed in a direction I can have a file that may be better than whats on it.
    Thanks

Senior Tuner
    Trans tune looks stock. Slipping as trans fluid heats up indicates either a problem with the transmission itself or the ATF. It'd be smart to do a fluid and filter change before messing with the tune.

Tuner in Training
    Interesting, is there anything else about this file that may seem off to you. I have no 4.8 experience, from talking to the owner, the car seems sluggish to rev/response isnt crisp. I was just looking at the repository, there are soo many 4.8 stock files but i dont know which is best suited for this ecu to just use a 100% stock file and delete vatss,add dual fan and call it a day lol.

Rest of the tune basically untouched, just things for no rear o2's and stuff like that are changed.

Looks like stock PE and timing settings. Some of the settings might be stock settings for a 6.0 too, because the base file used to be from a 3500 van with a 6.0. They must have done a segment swap for the transmission and did other stuff for a 4.8.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks, i thought so but not knowing and having the experience to validate if its truly stock, didnt want to make changes if its actually a hardpart issue. Never done a segment,is it basically copying the cells of an entire graph and pasting it into the new file and the write it to the ecu?

Senior Tuner
    I mean if it comes down to it...Lucas offers a tune in a bottle.

Tuner in Training
    Yea a complete tune is nice but then I wont learn much from that and have to do a compare to try to understand why certain changes were made.

Senior Tuner
    Lol dude

lucas.png

Advanced Tuner
    What are the transmission temps getting up to?

Advanced Tuner
    90% of the time if an auto trans 'slips' and it has fluid, its time to open it up

Tuner
    I just dealt with the same issue after installing a built motor. If it is reving in 3rd then your 3-4 clutch pack is shot. Nothing in the tune will help rectify the problem. I would pull the pan and look for debris. You could try a filter fluid change, but the trans is probably done.