Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going into REP! L83 w/ BTR Stage 2 truck cam

Tuner in Training

Going into REP! L83 w/ BTR Stage 2 truck cam

2014 Sierra 1500 L83 with the 6 speed. BTR Stage 2 with VVT. Installed 4 degree limiter and has bigger (14%) fuel lobe.

Got the truck dialed in i believe and very randomly I'm getting a REP. I can not seem to figure it out. Here is a log when it does it. Happens towards the end.
    Attached Files Attached Files

REP will throw a code when it happens. What codes comes up when it does?
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuning Addict
    What code set? It's showing like there's an issue with the etc. Loose connector from swap?

EDIT - 5FDP beat me to it
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Sorry, should of posted that. It throw's P16F3.

Tuning Addict
    That's a redundant memory code - not completely programmed basically or ecm failing...

You can try doing a write entire and then going into the scanner with key on engine off and doing a throttle clean/reset along with doing a crank relearn or any other relearns it offers. There are a lot that aren't in the hpt scanner though. Make sure your VE model agrees with your MAF so it wont set any checksum errors and go from there.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    That's a redundant memory code - not completely programmed basically or ecm failing...

You can try doing a write entire and then going into the scanner with key on engine off and doing a throttle clean/reset along with doing a crank relearn or any other relearns it offers. There are a lot that aren't in the hpt scanner though. Make sure your VE model agrees with your MAF so it wont set any checksum errors and go from there.
    I built the VVE table first, got the error correction under 4%, then did the MAF, then did a blended with the ST + LT. They are close and shouldn't cause any errors.

I will try a write entire and the relearns!

Tuner in Training
    Did a write entire, relearned what I could in the Scanner. Then a replacement throttle body came today.. Still no dice.

Tuning Addict
    Will it let you set the code to no error and do a write entire that way?

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Owner of the truck here btw. The write entire worked without any issues and re-learns all worked as they should.

Looking up the P16F3 it is running it correctly. Set procedures for the code are below.

P16F3
    The engine speed is greater than 500 RPM.
    DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0106, P0107, P0108, P2227, P2228, P2229, or P2230 are not set.
    DTC P16F3 runs continuously when the above conditions are met.

I have visually inspected all of the grounds a few times after putting the motor and trans back into the truck. I will be taking a load tester and validating the ground and power pins on the ECM plug. Provided nothing there shows any voltage drop issues it seems likely the ECM is on its way out.

Log today of a drive with the new throttle body and REP kicking back in. The reason for REP each time has been ETC, which I assume is Electronic Throttle Control as its a DBW truck. Let me know if there is any input on the log file, I'll keep digging into the power and grounds for this ECM.

[email protected]

Senior Tuner
    Make sure you confirm which module set the code, it can be more than the ECM, although I'm not sure what a "PIM" is.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...13571-9999.pdf

Tuning Addict
    PIM usually means powertrain interface module. Usually a module built into fuse blocks or just a fancy name for a smart fuse block. Didn't know GM used those...

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    Funny enough, if you search GM's website PIM only comes up in that bulletin. No other mention of it??? More info for what it's worth ----

Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) System Description

The engine control module (ECM) is the control center for the throttle actuator control (TAC) system. The ECM determines the driver's intent based on input from the accelerator pedal position sensors, then calculates the appropriate throttle response based on the throttle position sensors. The ECM achieves throttle positioning by providing a pulse width modulated voltage to the throttle actuator motor. The throttle blade is spring loaded in both directions, and the default position is slightly open.
    The throttle body actuator contains a contact-less inductive blade position sensing element that is managed by a customized integrated circuit. The throttle body actuator position sensor is mounted within the throttle body and is not serviceable. The ECM supplies the throttle body with a 5 V reference circuit, a low reference circuit, an H-bridge motor directional control circuit, and an asynchronous signal/serial data circuit. Asynchronous means communication is only going from the throttle body to the ECM. The throttle body cannot receive data from the ECM over the signal/serial data circuit. The throttle body actuator position sensor provides a signal that changes relative to throttle blade angle. The customized integrated circuit translates the signal based position information into serial data using the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J2716 Single Edge Nibble Transmission (SENT) protocol. The throttle body actuator position sensor information is transmitted between the throttle body and the ECM on the signal/serial data circuit. The ECM decodes the serial data signal and the throttle position information is displayed on the scan tool.
    Modes Of OperationNormal Mode
    During the operation of the TAC system, several modes, or functions, are considered normal. The following modes may be entered during normal operations:

• Minimum pedal value?At key-up, the ECM updates the learned minimum pedal value.
    • Minimum throttle position values?At key-up, the ECM updates the learned minimum throttle position value. In order to learn the minimum throttle position value, the throttle blade is moved to the closed position.
    • Ice break mode?If the throttle blade is not able to reach a predetermined minimum throttle position, the ice break mode is entered. During the ice break mode, the ECM commands the maximum pulse width several times to the throttle actuator motor in the closing direction.
    • Battery saver mode?After a predetermined time without engine speed, the ECM commands the battery saver mode. During the battery saver mode, the TAC system removes the voltage from the motor control circuits, which removes the current draw used to maintain the idle position and allows the throttle to return to the spring loaded default position.

Reduced Engine Power Mode
    When the ECM detects a condition with the TAC system, the ECM may enter a reduced engine power mode. Reduced engine power may cause one or more of the following conditions:

• Acceleration limiting?The ECM will continue to use the accelerator pedal for throttle control, however, the vehicle acceleration is limited.
    • Limited throttle mode?The ECM will continue to use the accelerator pedal for throttle control, however, the maximum throttle opening is limited.
    • Throttle default mode?The ECM will turn OFF the throttle actuator motor and the throttle will return to the spring loaded default position.
    • Forced idle mode?The ECM will perform the actions listed below:
      • Limit engine speed to the idle position
      • Ignore the accelerator pedal input.

Engine Shutdown Mode
    There are 4 reasons the ECM commands engine shutdown. All 4 reasons involve a throttle that has been commanded to default position ? Reduced Engine Power. Default Throttle is latched for the key-cycle, disabling the throttle motor and letting the spring return the throttle to its default position. Default Throttle by itself does not cause a commanded shutdown. Shutdown will only occur with Default Throttle and another issue. A throttle is commanded to Default Throttle when any of the following occurs:

• SENT Sensor Communication Faults ? P16A0?P16A2, U0606, or U0607
    • Performance Faults ? P0068, P2101, or P2176
    • Sensor Reference Voltage Fault ? P06A3
    • Internal Sensor Faults ? P0122, P0123, P0222, P0223, or P2135

The ECM commands engine shutdown when any of the following occurs:

• Default Throttle & Catalyst Temperature to high ? In order to idle in Default Throttle the spark is often retarded quite a bit, dumping a lot of heat into the catalyst.
    • Default Throttle & P2119 ? The throttle sensors detect that the throttle position is higher than default position and throttle hasn?t safely returned to default position.
    • Default Throttle & P16F3 or P0606 ? The calibration does not trust the ECM to determine if the throttle has safely returned to default position.
    • P0068 and any SENT Communication Fault, Reference Voltage Fault, or any of the 5 Sensor Faults ? The ECM detects excess air flow based on expected default throttle position indicating the throttle position is higher than the default throttle position. The calibration does not trust the faulted throttle sensors to determine if the throttle has safely returned to default position.

Throttle/Idle Learn or Throttle Body Idle Air Flow Compensation Reset
    The ECM learns the airflow through the throttle body to ensure the correct idle. The learned airflow values are stored within the ECM. These values are learned to adjust for production variation and will continuously learn during the life of the vehicle to compensate for reduced airflow due to throttle body coking. Anytime the throttle body airflow rate changes, for example due to cleaning or replacing, the values must be relearned.
    An engine that had a heavily coked throttle body that has been cleaned or replaced may take several drive cycles to unlearn the coking. To accelerate the process, the scan tool has the ability to reset the learned value back to zero. A new ECM will also have values set to zero. Cleaning the throttle body when the ECM is replaced can reduce the time it takes for the ECM to relearn the minimum idle speed.
    The idle may be unstable or a DTC may set if the learned values do not match the actual airflow.
    A un-metered air leak in the induction system or a small vacuum leak may not set a DTC. If the condition goes undetected, the ECM may learn an incorrect Throttle Body Idle Airflow Compensation value over time. The incorrectly learned value may cause various symptoms to occur such as rough or unstable idle speeds, and/or engine stall. If this condition is detected and repaired it will be necessary to perform the Throttle/Idle Learn or Throttle Body Idle Air Flow Compensation Reset procedure to ensure any symptoms

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by GHuggins; 06-20-2023 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added image to go with article

~Greg Huggins~

Senior Tuner
    The only thing Google can find for a PIM on a GM vehicle was on the 05-06 GTO's.

Tuner in Training
    Checked all the ecm power and grounds, all of them were consistent with no measured resistance and voltage drops of .03 volts which shouldnt affect anything.

I contact cleaned all the ecm connectors and the entire fuse block panel since I had that open during engine removal. I?ll see if it goes into REP tomorrow, I imagine it will.

If it does I will get a new ECM ordered for it since that seems to be where it?s all pointing towards.

Tuner in Training
    New ECM installed, still going into REP.

Greg or anyone else, how does the torque tables look? That's the only thing I can think of that's causing an issue tune-related at least.

Tuning Addict
    You never posted a tune that I know of? Unless I overlooked it. It only sets it cruising, after a wot pull, at idle or is it specific like that? Is the complete build listed? Is the memory code the only code? Have you tried setting it to no error?

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner in Training
    Crap, your right I didn't post the tune only the log. I believe he said it set's during cruising. Mod's are listed in the first post, except for it has shorty header's. I believe that was the only code. Doesn't help setting it to no error.

Tuning Addict
    Did it start this at a particular tune revision or done it since the getgo?

~Greg Huggins~

Tuning Addict
    This is just something for you to try. I could only really think of 2 different possibilities causing it with the calibration. The spikes in the VE table and maybe the map and airmass models not agreeing with one another any more? Honestly have never seen that cause a memory code before though. If this doesn't make a difference have him go to someone who can read the codes in all the modules and see if another one is indeed causing the issue as previously mentioned by Gtstorey. This torque model may also need some minor tweaking for this particular truck. You'll want it to idle just above or at 0 lbft hot.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 06-27-2023 at 10:23 PM.

~Greg Huggins~

Tuner
    You need a new throttle body and/or throttle body service connector.