Thread: MPVI 3 connection issue (only when car is running)

Potential Tuner

MPVI 3 connection issue (only when car is running)

Trouble ticket 105181 Relates.

Working on a MED17.1 2010 GTI. Windows 10, fully updated. VCM Scanner Beta / Stable both updated. I should mention that Editor works just fine and writes to car with no problems. Also attempted to resync interface (Beta / Stable), says it completes successfully, although I have no new credits, just trying anything at this point.

I can connect to the car with key on ignition off from both Beta and Stable Scanner programs. Everything seems to work correctly, I can record with car off.

With the scanner connected to the car and recording, I turn on the car, says it's connected (car info showing still at the top of screen), but recording freezes, only thing I can do is disconnect.

With scanner connected to the car but not recording, I turn on the car, says it's still connected (car info showing at the top of screen), but everything is frozen, no buttons accept disconnect from the car work.

In either example, after disconnecting from the car, car still running, when I attempt to reconnect to the car. At the top of the screen, it says connected, but it doesn't list the cars information like it does when it is connected correctly. In this state of "connected" it will not allow for any PID manipulation or recording, everything is frozen.

I'm very new to tuning, I'm more of the mechanical type. I've watched dozens of hours of videos and read countless threads attempting not to bother anyone with my issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Potential Tuner
    I determined what the problem was, I'm an idiot. After laying awake all night thinking about this, I did some additional troubleshooting today.

The configuration listed above didn't work because the OBD port was split. On one end, we had the MPVI 3, on the other end we had the P3 gauge running through the AEM WB. The splitter is still in use, one end has the MPVI running through the AEM WB, the P3 gauge will be plugged into the other end when we are not tuning. Everything works just as expected, well, accept the the AEM WB. I cannot seem to get it to connect to the scanner via the OBD II port, although I watched several videos and follow them perfectly. More research.

Hope my fail may help someone else.