Thread: E38 MAF Calibration 2 Type Settings

E38 MAF Calibration 2 Type Settings

Hi guys,
    I have a customer using a 07 Tahoe MAF, with the two MAF table calibration settings behind a 09 Express OS which uses the single MAF calibration.
    I know it will need to be tuned regardless, to scale. But I wanted to set a base MAF cal up to tune off of.
    I have attached a couple screen shots,
    What would be the proper way to set this up? Use the values close to 1000, for low starting out and the values for 5800 for high starting out and interpolate it all in the single cal?
    Then tune the MAF from there?
    Something new I have not ran into.
    09 express.JPG07 tahoe.JPG
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

Senior Tuner
    Do the two OEM applications use the same PN maf? If so they might be close enough to start as is.

I can't tell by how you wrote that.. but the 2 MAF tables are the same as 1 just cut in half. 0-5800 / 5800-15000 vs 0 - 15000

I could be way wrong by numbers just pulling out of my poor memory.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    Do the two OEM applications use the same PN maf? If so they might be close enough to start as is.

I can't tell by how you wrote that.. but the 2 MAF tables are the same as 1 just cut in half. 0-5800 / 5800-15000 vs 0 - 15000

I could be way wrong by numbers just pulling out of my poor memory.

They do appear to have different part numbers. The pinouts are different as well on the harness connector.
    I see what you mean, its just split in half. I just manually went into the table and adjusted it closely comparing to the 07 tahoe tables, then added 5 percent across the table as whole. Hopefully that will get us up and running to log and adjust.
    Thanks for the insight!
    Jake Hatfield
    Central KY

Tuner in Training
    If you end up with a situation where you decide to update the MAF to the newer LS3 card-style one let me know, I'm curious on an E38 ECM with those 07-09 truck MAF's how this can be done. I believe those newer MAF's have more range and thus can support a little more HP? If you needed the range. Not sure what flow the 07-09 truck MAF's can support. I've heard by word of mouth 500-550HP is their flow limit but I don't know if that's accurate.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by JHPerformance View Post
    They do appear to have different part numbers. The pinouts are different as well on the harness connector.
    I see what you mean, its just split in half. I just manually went into the table and adjusted it closely comparing to the 07 tahoe tables, then added 5 percent across the table as whole. Hopefully that will get us up and running to log and adjust.
    Thanks for the insight!
    The card style MAF is quite a bit different.. All of it is highly dependent on the intake tubing. Just be mindful of a P0101 while tuning. If the MAF disagrees with VVE/VE enough it will set a 101 and ignore the MAF
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Quote Originally Posted by PJBURGES View Post
    If you end up with a situation where you decide to update the MAF to the newer LS3 card-style one let me know, I'm curious on an E38 ECM with those 07-09 truck MAF's how this can be done. I believe those newer MAF's have more range and thus can support a little more HP? If you needed the range. Not sure what flow the 07-09 truck MAF's can support. I've heard by word of mouth 500-550HP is their flow limit but I don't know if that's accurate.
    Putting a given MAF into a tube with larger cross section will lower the Hz output for a given airflow. MAF really only measures airspeed, it takes the MAF table and temperature and a bunch of other big-brain math stuff to turn that into a volume number.