Thread: Allison a40 read problem

Tuner in Training

Allison a40 read problem

I'm relatively new to tuning. I learned on a 2002 lq4. Started with a freshly rebuilt engine with a mild cam. I knew that the new cam would probably need tuning and everyone wanted the price of an HPtuners setup to do the tune for me, so I bought a MPVI3 tuner and spent many hundreds of hours studying the forums. I learned how to tune the lq4, probably not as well as it could be tuned, but the fuel trims are all close to zero and everything seems well balanced.

My other truck is an 06 lbz. I figured that I would read it with HPTuners and learn how to tune it. I can read the ecm fine, but no way in the world will it read the tcm. I have learned from the forums that any aftermarket circuits will interfere with reads so I removed a Kennedy Finger Stick that I had installed, and pulled out the Tekonsha trailer brake controller. There are no other mods that I know of but I cannot make it read the tcm. I have a trickle charger on my batts when I try to read as well. I see on the forums that others have had trouble reading the 06 Allison tcm. Has anyone had this issue and solved it? I hesitate to license the ecm file without the tcm because I have read where someone did that and then had to purchase two more credits for the tcm when they were able to read it. Any experience with that?

Also, when I initiate a read, HPTuners says it encountered unknown controllers. It recognizes the ecm and the tcm but there is a third space at the bottom that is blank with only an operating system number. I'm stumped. Thank you in advance for any advice.

Junkrunner

Tuner in Training
    Here are snips of before and after read timeout. Sometimes it quits at only a few percent and sometimes it goes over 60 percent.

unknowncontrollers.pngreadtimeout.png