Thread: Semi newbie needing help

Tuner

Semi newbie needing help

I have a 2000 S10 with a 5.3L swapped in. I bought a PCM with a start up tune from CPW. I had made some adjustments but could not fix a couple of small issues. It started, ran & i was driving it. The tune was for a 2005 Silverado 5.3L.
    It was suggested to get a more compatible tune for the S10. I was given an OS # 12587603 as a good one to fix the issue.
    So this OS # is for a 2004 S10 4.3L & also for a 2004 SSR 5.3L. I segment swapped the 5.3L into this tune. I also mimicked some of the codes setting from the old tune to the new tune.
    Now it wont start. So I scanned for code and came up with:
    P0315 CPS not learned
    P1631 VATS
    I set the P0315 to no error reported, I set the VATS control to "none" under editor>system tab> general> security. I also set the P1631 code to "no error reported"
    It still won't start. I am uploading the current tune, the old tune & a log file of it cranking but not starting.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Building Automatic Transmissions since 1978
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply."--Ernest Hemingway.

Black 2000 S10 Base 2.2L Flex Current LS10 swap project
    Red 2000 Blazer LT 4x4 3.73 SOLD
    Red 1998 S10 SS 4.3L Deceased 10/31/2014

Personally I don't like to do segment swaps unless it is absolutely necessary. Most of the time I use the PCM/ECM that came with the engine and transmission. Then I will update to the latest GM software that can cure many different issues. Then start the tuning from that point forward. Makes things flow easier and nothing might be hidden from HP tuners view. YMMV

Tuner
    I understand where you are coming from. Problem is the instrument cluster pops a battery/alt. light with the old tune. I was also having to delete code reporting on the O2's that are different for the 2005 Silverado vs the ones purchased for the 2004 Trailblazer/SSR that got purchased.
    It's my understanding that the serial data from the 2005 Silverado tune is not compatible with the S10 cluster. It was suggested to use a S10 Compatible tune file for that. OS 12587603 was recommended by 2 other S10 guy's as a fix. That OS is used in the 2004 S10 4.3L & 2004 SSR 5.3L that uses the same O2's as purchased for the custom harness.
    "Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply."--Ernest Hemingway.

Advanced Tuner
    You did perform a "write entire" correct?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranzman View Post
    I understand where
    s10forum.com has an extensive LS swap section. might start there

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by reubone View Post
    You did perform a "write entire" correct?
    Yes I did.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bk2life View Post
    s10forum.com has an extensive LS swap section. might start there
    I did but up until today you could not upload HPtuners files...
    Now you can!!!

Advanced Tuner
    I did but up until today you could not upload HPtuners files...
    Now you can!!!
    i was just bustin'yer ballz.. lol
    i emailed you ricks tune, cna you copy most of that into yours to get it running?
    you didnt say if your engine was stock or modified? cam?

Tuner
    i was just bustin'yer ballz.. lol
    i emailed you ricks tune, cna you copy most of that into yours to get it running?
    you didnt say if your engine was stock or modified? cam?
    Good Idea and it's cammed Elgin E1639P

I understand where you are coming from. Problem is the instrument cluster pops a battery/alt. light with the old tune. I was also having to delete code reporting on the O2's that are different for the 2005 Silverado vs the ones purchased for the 2004 Trailblazer/SSR that got purchased.
    It's my understanding that the serial data from the 2005 Silverado tune is not compatible with the S10 cluster. It was suggested to use a S10 Compatible tune file for that. OS 12587603 was recommended by 2 other S10 guy's as a fix. That OS is used in the 2004 S10 4.3L & 2004 SSR 5.3L that uses the same O2's as purchased for the custom harness.
    So you tried modifications to tach signal?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    So you tried modifications to tach signal?
    I did not. A friend suggested that I mimic a tune file I have.
    That made sense so I did that with the tune file that was running before I put this tune in. I didn't think that all those changes would be necessary. I will try this in the AM.
    What does a guy do for or about the CPS relearn?

I did not. A friend suggested that I mimic a tune file I have.
    That made sense so I did that with the tune file that was running before I put this tune in. I didn't think that all those changes would be necessary. I will try this in the AM.
    What does a guy do for or about the CPS relearn?
    I would get a second P59, load on the truck OS change the Engine>General>Tach Output to Type>12V Pullup and Resolution - High and Low to "1".

1. Turn off all of the accessories. With the Air temperature sensor and Coolant temperature within 5 degrees (Centigrade) of each other, start the engine and let it idle in Park or Neutral for two minutes.

2. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at part throttle. Cruise at 55 mph for 8- 10 minutes until the engine reaches operating temperature.

3. Cruise at 55 mph for another 5-6 minutes.

4. Decelerate to 45 mph without using the brakes, and maintain 45 mph for 1 minute.

5. Perform 4 deceleration cycles, without using the brakes, of 25 seconds each where no specific speed is necessary. Returning to 45 mph for 15 seconds in between deceleration cycles.

6. Accelerate to 55 mph and cruise for 2 minutes.

7. Stop the vehicle and idle for 2 minutes with the brake applied and the transmission in Drive (automatic trans.) or Neutral (manual trans.) with the clutch depressed.

Actually it is pretty similar to the catalyst monitor test.
    Last edited by TheMechanic; 06-22-2023 at 10:45 PM.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMechanic View Post
    I would get a second P59, load on the truck OS change the Engine>General>Tach Output to Type>12V Pullup and Resolution - High and Low to "1".

1. Turn off all of the accessories. With the Air temperature sensor and Coolant temperature within 5 degrees (Centigrade) of each other, start the engine and let it idle in Park or Neutral for two minutes.

2. Accelerate the vehicle to 55 mph at part throttle. Cruise at 55 mph for 8- 10 minutes until the engine reaches operating temperature.

3. Cruise at 55 mph for another 5-6 minutes.

4. Decelerate to 45 mph without using the brakes, and maintain 45 mph for 1 minute.

5. Perform 4 deceleration cycles, without using the brakes, of 25 seconds each where no specific speed is necessary. Returning to 45 mph for 15 seconds in between deceleration cycles.

6. Accelerate to 55 mph and cruise for 2 minutes.

7. Stop the vehicle and idle for 2 minutes with the brake applied and the transmission in Drive (automatic trans.) or Neutral (manual trans.) with the clutch depressed.

Actually it is pretty similar to the catalyst monitor test.
    This I get. The issue is that it ran with the 2005 truck tune... I flashed the same PCM with the new tune and it would not start. So I either bricked it or a setting is off keeping it from starting.

Like the original post stated: It did give a P0315 & a P1631 code on the initial start up. I disabled the VATS & changed both codes to "no code reported". Still no start.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass here but...

My question about the CPS relearn is more about "what do you do to get it to start so you can do the relearn!!!"
    first step says to start the engine...
    "1. Turn off all of the accessories. With the Air temperature sensor and Coolant temperature within 5 degrees (Centigrade) of each other, start the engine and let it idle in Park or Neutral for two minutes."

It doesn't start!!!

As far as the tach settings. What you have suggested is what the S10 tune had. I just didn't think they would need to be changed. (S10 dash & S10 tune)

The Silverado tune showed a "blank space" where the S10 tune showed 12v pullup, so I changed the current S10 tune to "no pullup". Then in resolution the Silverado had a 6 in each box, the S10 had a 1, so I changed my current S10 tune to a 6 in both.

Both these changes along with others got changed to mimic the Silverado tune settings..

If what I changed tonight still wont allow it to start. I will re-flash the Silverado tune back in and try it...

Advanced Tuner
    I will re-flash the Silverado tune back in and try it...
    do this.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Injector.
    can you check his injector info?

Everyone should have these.
    https://www.amazon.com/Noid-Light-In.../dp/B08H256T9Y
    Or your local tool guy. Except Snap-On. Hate those buttholes

Tuner
    do this.

can you check his injector info?
    It runs on the old tune...

I took the 12580681 injector data and put that in the new tune. I didn't change the LTFT data because it was minimal differences.

Advanced Tuner
    It runs .
    ok good, now with that how do you have your scanner set up?
    post a screen shot with what you have.

since it runs, and able to be scanned, its pretty easy to move forward from there