Thread: Fuel smell at idle stock cam

Question Fuel smell at idle stock cam

As the title says. What is the current go to for fuel smell at idle. Bone stock in every way in an early model Jeep. Cats seemed to have fallen off. I'll have the customer replace them when he tows it to the muffler shop.
    Maybe a little higher idle and reduce idle timing?

I dunno, but I've never found a rich idle smell to be that objectionable to the point something just HAD to be done about it. You sure it's not lean? Eyes burning?

Yes. Eyes burning. It is totally stock. I will be doing some regular tuning to it. Just unlocked the tune (Took two days for the brute force) but stock cam, intake, no CAI only shorty headers.

'Eyes burning' is much more likely to be a symptom of lean idle.

Put it in open loop and give it like 13:1 and see if it's better or worse. I'll bet it's better.

Bro. See, I thought we were buds. Then you go and do this knowing the deep personal pain I experience when it comes to injector data...

screenshot.23-06-2023 21.12.18.png

Keep in mind, if the downstream O2s are completely deleted it'll always do weird shit trying to run the cat/O2 tests.

Also take another look at your U codes, bunch of stuff I'm pretty sure didn't get used in a Jeep swap are still No MIL.

Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Bro. See, I thought we were buds. Then you go and do this knowing the deep personal pain I experience when it comes to injector data...

screenshot.23-06-2023 21.12.18.png

Keep in mind, if the downstream O2s are completely deleted it'll always do weird shit trying to run the cat/O2 tests.

Also take another look at your U codes, bunch of stuff I'm pretty sure didn't get used in a Jeep swap are still No MIL.
    Checked with a same year same OS and the flow rate was off but the V offset was identical. Including the Min pulse. I'm using 4.8.7 so can't fix the cat test.

You can't fix those tests on any Gen3 with any software version. Only way is to leave the rear sensors connected, let it run the tests and fail, only after that will it stop doing the periodic forced lean/forced rich thing trying to get a result.

The flow rate is correct, if it's got a referenced regulator - but then the offset table is wrong. And if it's returnless then the offset is right but flow rate table is wrong. The goofy injector data could be the whole source of whatever idle smell, whether it's rich or lean.

Advanced Tuner
    Put cats back on it or learn to live with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay@HAP View Post
    Put cats back on it or learn to live with it.
    I tell people this weekly

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    You can't fix those tests on any Gen3 with any software version. Only way is to leave the rear sensors connected, let it run the tests and fail, only after that will it stop doing the periodic forced lean/forced rich thing trying to get a result.

The flow rate is correct, if it's got a referenced regulator - but then the offset table is wrong. And if it's returnless then the offset is right but flow rate table is wrong. The goofy injector data could be the whole source of whatever idle smell, whether it's rich or lean.
    Neither my P01 or P59 perform the catalyst air/fuel variation test and the Catalyst Monitor is "Ready" immediately after the first start.

Lots/most of the HD truck OSes don't have any kind of catalyst monitoring, dunno if those still try to do post-O2 tests or not. Look for P0420/P0430 set to No Error in the stock files.

Senior Tuner
    I had to "fire" a customer with a 5.3 swapped jeep for this complaint. The fuel trims were so close to zero it was ridiculous and the wide band the customer himself had installed read perfect 14.7 at idle. We showed him this, explained it all, said he knew what rich smelled like and that it was "loading up all the time." It absolutely wasn't.. couldn't have drove any better. He said he thought the wideband was lying to us and make it run richer than it was supposed to.. It was just crazy.

When he brought the JEEP to me in person I found the problem. He had a open vent on his fuel tank and if you think about it on a 2 door jeep you sit just a few feet from that open vent. If the body wasn't in the way I'm sure you could reach back and touch it from the drivers seat.

I think the whole shop laughed when he said he was going to rip off all the fuel injection and put a carb on it because... "that will fix it."
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Senior Tuner
    That's pretty funny.

JEEP

Say no more.

Too funny…. I live in the south, bunch of idiots down here.

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C