Thread: Matching TCM to e38 ECM, OS re-write?

Potential Tuner

Matching TCM to e38 ECM, OS re-write?

I have a spare 6l80e transmission I am wanting to use in my Ultra4 rig. I currently run an LS3 and 6l80e combo. I pulled the trans and motor after King of the Hammers for a rebuild and now I want to get my spare transmission setup to work with the same e38 ECM that is in the car.

I didn't get a chance to pull the working 6l80e TCM info. But here is the OS info for the spare trans and the E38 ECM.

e38 12617631
    t43 24261871

I guess what I am trying to figure out is, can I use the HPT tools to re-write the OS in the T43 to match the E38, or is this process more extensive and requires the TCM to be pulled/sent out?

I have always just SPS/TechlineConnect them but I have been told several times that HPTuners will in fact be able to copy your trans OS/tune into your new/rebuilt/used TCM

What are you working with? Year/make/model? Service Numbers on the ECM & two TCMs? Are the TCMs the right numbers to work with whatever the ECM is? Are they both the same?

Potential Tuner
    I ended up pulling the TCM & valve body assembly from my race trans and hooked it up to the harness in the rig. I pulled the file from that T43 TCM and made a copy, knowing it previously worked just fine. I wrote that file to the TCM in the backup trans, changing the TCM OS from 24261871 to 24254909.

Quote Originally Posted by JeepnJ.4881 View Post
    I ended up pulling the TCM & valve body assembly from my race trans and hooked it up to the harness in the rig. I pulled the file from that T43 TCM and made a copy, knowing it previously worked just fine. I wrote that file to the TCM in the backup trans, changing the TCM OS from 24261871 to 24254909.
    So are you installing it to see if it works? Report back. Good info as the question comes up fairly often.

Potential Tuner
    This worked out and the spare transmission communicates with the ECM now. Test drive went well and it shifts great.

This was a super easy fix.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/963710094935574

Potential Tuner
    Hi JeepnJ.4881, do you mind sharing the HPtuners hpt file for the T43 OS 24254909, please? I need to flash it to my tcm but don't have a backup of that OS. TIA