Thread: Can Scanner trigger fans?

Can Scanner trigger fans?

I have an LS7 out of a 2006 Z06 Vette in a 1967 Camaro and running a standalone harness. Using Scanner and the Controls and Special Functions, I can get the Check Engine Light and fuel pump to start but can't get the fans to trigger. If I ground the trigger wire for the MSD Solid State relay, the fans start up but shouldn't they also start when I command them to using Scanner? I have not run the engine up to a temp that would trigger the fans that way.

It depends on how the fans are wired. Each fan has one wire ( green & blue). At least this how mine have with LS1 PCM. If they are wired with the PCM, then you can control the fans through hptuners scanner.

I changed fan type to discreet and now fans run but they run constantly when ignition is on, any idea why this is happening? I have no DTC's. Oh, I can now switch the fans off with scanner

Senior Tuner
    It does sometimes.. not always.. Do you have your fans setup as discrete on/off or a PWM like OEM 06 Z06?

The discrete options usually work the PWM often doesn't. These are dependent on your hardware so don't just change it.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Also check your DTC list to see if the codes are enabled for fan control circuit 1 or 2.. if so, these codes being enabled can have the fans come on as soon as engine starts. Set both fan 1 and fan 2 to NO ERROR REPORTED and uncheck the SES/CEL box and test again.

Advanced Tuner
    i had this issue as well where my fans would run constantly. I changed the CONTROL BY % VS ECT table and it fixed it. Worth checking into... IIRC, the numbers in the table has an effect other than just off and on. Post your tune. My 68 is Ls7 E38. Not sure if the ECM is the same...
    Last edited by LS ROB; 06-26-2023 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HATEHPTUNERS View Post
    Also check your DTC list to see if the codes are enabled for fan control circuit 1 or 2.. if so, these codes being enabled can have the fans come on as soon as engine starts. Set both fan 1 and fan 2 to NO ERROR REPORTED and uncheck the SES/CEL box and test again.
    This is an excellent answer, thank you. The maker of the standalone harness says I have a dtc code that is making fan run, which is kinda what you?re saying, too. I?ll go into the program and make some changes

Senior Tuner
    You should post the tune or a log at the least. The way the fans work in a GEN 4 application can be tough to understand.

DTCs turning on the fans stopped really before GEN 3 as far as I know.. Maybe a fan or ECT code will permanently set them on.

Old chip cars would turn the fans on for any type of fault it seemed.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Camaro stock tune.hpt Here is the tune I have in the car. The fans are still running anytime the ignition is on, I tried checking and unchecking ses box. BTW I think my engine (LS7) is a Gen4 but I posted in the wrong place
    Last edited by marksawatsky; 06-26-2023 at 07:57 PM.

Senior Tuner
    I see the problem. This should fix your fans.

Camaro stock tune.2.hpt
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    I see the problem. This should fix your fans.

Camaro stock tune.2.hpt
    I'll check it out but the tech guy at PSI Conversions sent me screenshots of what to change and it worked, fans seem to do what they are supposed to do now. Here are the screenshots
    unnamed.pngunnamed (1).pngunnamed (2).pngunnamed (3).pngunnamed (1).png