Thread: ITB - Alpha N?

Tuner

ITB - Alpha N?

So on a whim I designed an ITB manifold for a 2L GDI Duratec. I'm 3D printing the prototype as I write this. I'm now asking myself if there's any way to force these ECU's into some type of MAF-less Alpha-N tuning mode, and I'm curious if anyone has tried it on a Coyote (of any gen) with success. In this case it would be a TC1767 controller, but I think this is mostly a generalized late Ford question. My only guess would be that the throttle body and speed density could somehow work together create a LWFM of sorts.

It's just a dumb idea I had, please don't skewer me on the likelihood that this produces little to no gain lol

Advanced Tuner
    Not sure about alpha-n, I don't think you can intentionally use that on these computers... Probably only in extreme failsafe cases (loss of MAF & MAP), at which point you're probably going to fight with it too much to make it useful.

Best bet would probably be to tie all the vacuum ports from the ITBs into a plenum can of some kind (simple one I've seen is a fuel filter), or individual MAP sensors per TB and a circuit to combine and filter those signals into one.
    I've seen the individual MAP sensors + filter circuit done on MegaSquirt setups before, seemed to work pretty well, but for low effort, the fuel filter delay can setup can work just as well.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Seishuku View Post
    Not sure about alpha-n, I don't think you can intentionally use that on these computers... Probably only in extreme failsafe cases (loss of MAF & MAP), at which point you're probably going to fight with it too much to make it useful.

Best bet would probably be to tie all the vacuum ports from the ITBs into a plenum can of some kind (simple one I've seen is a fuel filter), or individual MAP sensors per TB and a circuit to combine and filter those signals into one.
    I've seen the individual MAP sensors + filter circuit done on MegaSquirt setups before, seemed to work pretty well, but for low effort, the fuel filter delay can setup can work just as well.
    So with this ECU being MAF based, I'm not sure that would work. I had the thought of integrating the MAF into one of the runners, post throttle. I'm not sure it would appreciate the intake pulses against it.

Advanced Tuner
    Not super familiar with the Duratec engines, but given Ford likes to do things similar on a lot of different engines... Shouldn't a MAF to MAP conversion that people do on the Coyote work just the same?

Otherwise, if you have to keep the MAF, I would think the only option would be a plenum over the ITB inlets.