Thread: ECU - changing VIN help

Tuner

ECU - changing VIN help

Hello, trying to change the vin in a ECM from a 2012 chevy malibu to the VIN of a 2007 chevu cobalt that im going to try to install the used module in. I know i need to program the used module with sps2 and i have that, but when i bring it up in sps2 it sees the VIN from the 12 malibu, not the 07 cobalt. There used to be a VIN override in sps2 where you could change the vin, but not anymore. When i try to use hpt to chaneg the vin, it says OS/VIN not compatible, but i know for a fact these ecu's are compatible. Any help is great, thanks, sorry if its confusing

Customer vehicle = 2007 cobalt - needs ecu
    Donor vehicle ecu = 2012 chevy malibu

Need to write the VIN of the cobalt int he malibu for program with sps2

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Unfortunately you will not be able to use our product to program a 2007 vin into a 2012 ecm, sorry. You'll need to find some other means to do so.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Oneandoneauto View Post
    Hello, trying to change the vin in a ECM from a 2012 chevy malibu to the VIN of a 2007 chevu cobalt that im going to try to install the used module in. I know i need to program the used module with sps2 and i have that, but when i bring it up in sps2 it sees the VIN from the 12 malibu, not the 07 cobalt. There used to be a VIN override in sps2 where you could change the vin, but not anymore. When i try to use hpt to chaneg the vin, it says OS/VIN not compatible, but i know for a fact these ecu's are compatible. Any help is great, thanks, sorry if its confusing

Customer vehicle = 2007 cobalt - needs ecu
    Donor vehicle ecu = 2012 chevy malibu

Need to write the VIN of the cobalt int he malibu for program with sps2
    SPS2 still allows you to use a different VIN than what is in the module.

I don't think SPS2 will allow you to program that 2012 Malibu ECM as a 2007 Cobalt. Like Bill said, other software might be able to change the Malibu VIN to the Cobalt Vin.

-Greg
    2009 Maverick Silver G8 GXP M6 - 586hp
    Engine Mods: TVS 2300 Magnacharger ARH 1 7/8" long tubes with catted x-pipe
    Drivetrain Mods: Ram Dual Disc Clutch
    Suspension Mods: Pedders/Wretched basic drag pack - BMR trailing arms
    Misc Mods: Jamesbiz Catch can - GRRRR8 Heater hose relo kit

Tuner
    What if i get an ecu out of an 07 or 08 cobalt? Can hpt do that?

Senior Tuner
    Make sure the 08 has the same part number if you go that route. I’m pretty sure both the turbo and base changed ECM in 08.