Thread: Vin writing issue

Tuner

Vin writing issue

Hello, trying to change the vin in a ECM from a 2012 chevy malibu to the VIN of a 2007 chevu cobalt that im going to try to install the used module in. I know i need to program the used module with sps2 and i have that, but when i bring it up in sps2 it sees the VIN from the 12 malibu, not the 07 cobalt. There used to be a VIN override in sps2 where you could change the vin, but not anymore. When i try to use hpt to chaneg the vin, it says OS/VIN not compatible, but i know for a fact these ecu's are compatible. Any help is great, thanks, sorry if its confusing

Customer vehicle = 2007 cobalt - needs ecu
    Donor vehicle ecu = 2012 chevy malibu

Need to write the VIN of the cobalt int he malibu for program with sps2

Tuner in Training
    Since its an '07 cobalt your best bet is to get TIS2000 its the old offline GM software that flashes cars from '96-08. You're correct the ecu is compatible but the software on it isn't.

Potential Tuner
    in sps2 on the vehicle selection tab, don't click connect to vehicle as that will pull the vin from the ecm. instead manually put in the vin on the next line down and then make sure you select replace and reprogram

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Oneandoneauto View Post
    shell shockers 2: Hello, trying to change the vin in a ECM from a 2012 chevy malibu to the VIN of a 2007 chevu cobalt that im going to try to install the used module in. I know i need to program the used module with sps2 and i have that, but when i bring it up in sps2 it sees the VIN from the 12 malibu, not the 07 cobalt. There used to be a VIN override in sps2 where you could change the vin, but not anymore. When i try to use hpt to chaneg the vin, it says OS/VIN not compatible, but i know for a fact these ecu's are compatible. Any help is great, thanks, sorry if its confusing

Customer vehicle = 2007 cobalt - needs ecu
    Donor vehicle ecu = 2012 chevy malibu

Need to write the VIN of the cobalt int he malibu for program with sps2
    You can use HP Tuners VCM editor to change the VIN in GM ECM. First, under the Edit tab, press Change VIN Wizard. Next, enter your current VIN and press Commit. Click on the Write Vehicle icon. Under the drop-down menu, choose Write VIN/Tunerlock/VAT. Lastly, click Write. This may take a while, but after that, you?re all set.

Did that work for him? I do not see a reply

Potential Tuner
    Is this option in an older version? The only options I see are Write Entire, Write Calibration or Don't Write.

Tuner in Training
    It must be in an older version, I've been using hpt since version 4.10.7 and have never seen these options.
    2014 Chevy Cruze 1.8l 6mt