Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: fully built 4.6 3 v procharger - trying to tune after moving from sct to hp tuners

Tuner in Training
    OK, well i did exactly as ben said (put in the stock maf, got a stock MAF voltage table, then figured out the housing sizes, multiplied the table by the difference), it smoothed the idle way out and was quite rich while it was at high idle, which was abnormally high (2k) and it hung there for a good 10-15 secs. When the idle came down it then went stupid lean (1.6), then the gauge just went full lean with no reading.....i had to shut her down. Here is the log and tune, as brief as it is. Any ideas? im pretty sure the BA5000 is bad, it did seem way happier with the stock MAF. Thanks for the advice guys, at this point im open to a remote tuning session to just settle my lean condition, it honestly just needs to be cleaned up once i figure out the lean at idle issue, which i can take care of that stuff. i need to learn anyways, but this lean idle thing has got me clueless.....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    This Guy--------------->First Time Domestic Tuner

Advanced Tuner
    On the lean idle thing read this again.

Quote Originally Posted by B E N View Post
    Cams can cause idle readings to look lean, the overlap at idle lets fresh air/fuel go straight through the intake into the exhaust. If it has a lopey sound to it chances are the cams are causing false readings. If it goes away just off idle and is fine at loaded cruise my guess would be its the cams. If it idles fine I wouldn't worry about the AFR at idle, chances are good you won't hurt anything unless it is really rich.
    I'm out of country through Sunday, if you are still hung up I'll look at your logs and see if I can give you a hand.

Tuner in Training
    Thanks Ben! at this point the idle is way smoothed out after switching out the MAF sensor, but throttle response is still in the toilet and when i say lean i mean it idles from 1.5 up to unreadable. Before these issues it always idled kinda lean (14-16 AFR). Not to mention the log is showing some really strange stuff with the fuel pump, though physically it looks and sounds fine. It is a Aeromotive fuel pump with one of their speed controllers with a switch for the override mode. The previous log and tune i posted is the most current. If you looked it over for anything that stood out i would be in your debt. ill be working on it the next couple days so ill be checking the forums often. I will try to get a longer log with driving included. PM me about compensation if needed.

Advanced Tuner
    The SCT BA5000 has a completely different scale from stock. Stock will not work at all, you'd have to change the MAF cal to stock and adjust from there.
    Weird your car doesn't have STFT. What size is your MAF housing?

Advanced Tuner
    Use this channel list.

3v-2.Channels.xml

Tuner in Training
    I went off 3.75" when I did the calculations for the stock map, which is the inside diameter of the MAF housing, its located right after the intercooler. Thing is the MAF cal never changed, I even reflashed the sct tune back to the car (its still married to this car) and didn't read it with HPT then ran it, same stuff. But after getting stock MAF tables, and recalibrating for the MAF housing like Ben said it ran WAY better, but still stupid lean, like cant read it lean, also the STFT has worked, I believe I just had the wrong sensor picked as I didn't repoll before the log and was starting new. I will log with your channel list and re-post Monday afternoon. Thanks guys!

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tune with it as well. I've calibrated that MAF sensor. Your tune is still scaled like stock where the max is 5 volts, say you pegged 5 volts at 50# per min on with the stock sensor, now that same airflow would only be around 3 volts. You need to rescale for better resolution, 5 volts on this sensor can go a long way. For instance, this one that I tuned, I rescaled it with 3.95v is the highest axis, the airflow in that cell is 115# per min.

Advanced Tuner
    Great advice above.

Before you go any further, check your mechanicals, vacuum leaks anywhere between the maf and cylinder will make tuning impossible!!!

On the tip in, start by multiplying your entire LWFM by 1.2, then look back at this:

Quote Originally Posted by B E N View Post
    load with failed maf This is your tip in fuel command, its what tells the pcm how much fuel you need when you move the throttle, before the maf reading catches up. If you have lambda readings that aren't doing what you want when you hit the throttle modify this (more air means more fuel)
    Multiplying it by 1.2 may be too much, or not enough, the goal is just to get it drivable.

Read post 22-32 here again, now that your maf is fixed this should get your car to 90% https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-Surging/page2

If you are still struggling we can set up a call or something and I will try to help you further.

Tuner in Training
    sorry it took so long guys, it has been raining non-stop so I haven't ran it until today. ive uploaded 2 logs and the current tune to where ive gotten it, the first log was a no start condition, it literally started for about 5 secs, died, then wouldn't restart (hasn't done it since I reflashed the tune with the new configured maf). Prior to these logs I also found 2 "RUBBER" couplers in the intake piping between the pro-charger and intercooler that had ballooned and tore, the previous owner was a idiot beyond what I could've imagined, large radiator hose is a bad joke lol. I replaced them with nice mishimoto 4-ply silicone couplers, and then removed the bypass valve and cleaned it so it actually works when it sees vacuum.... so ya there was some vacuum leaks lol. also if I apply 15lbs of pressure to the AFPR, it drops to 0 over the course of 12 secs.....Not sure if this is bad, I know for stock ones they hold a vacuum, but there also isn't any fuel leaks like one would expect with a ripped diaphragm. otherwise everything is mechanically sound. Checked the plugs again, aside from looking a little lean, they look fine, changed the oil, the pro-charger oil, checked every sensor, every inch of vacuum line and boost pipe. Thanks for the help guys, I would say its drivable, except any time you are not on the throttle its stupid lean, and wants to die, the ecu thinks so as well looking at the log. FYI Thatwhite5.0 I used the channel list that you sent me for the logs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Frank, I sent you a PM, these are the channels and layout I mentioned:5 21 channels.Channels.xml5 21 channel layout.Layout.xml

Your MAF needs tuned.