Thread: WOT Spark Advance

Tuner in Training

WOT Spark Advance

What's a typical spark advance range at WOT for these gen3 engines? N/A tune, not interested in timing for boost or nitrous for now.

I pulled timing, and added fuel for my first few test drives to be on the safe side. I am getting fuel dialed in closer and think I need to put some timing back in. I'm just curious what you experienced tuners typically see. I know every motor will be different, I'm just trying to get a ballpark range.

To get more comparable feedback, my motor is a 403 made out of a LQ4, H/C/I/headers, 11.4:1 CR on pump gas.

Advanced Tuner
    most LS like mid 20's for timing. theres always exceptions but i would expect mid to high 20* mark would be where youre aiming for...start around 24* and see how it likes that. increase a degree and re-log for results as necessary.

Advanced Tuner
    I would definitely start in the 19-21 range at peak torque. That may be really close to mbt at peak torque. I would not expect for this to ever get into the high 20s and pick up enough power to keep safely.

...and don't pay any attention to the timing numbers people are using on dyno engines, with 130* coolant temps and cold dry intake air and limited run times... in a real vehicle the 'right' WOT timing will be much lower.

Tuner in Training
    Ride on - I was at 13* on my last drive around. The delivered torque value peaked about 1,000-1,500 rpm earlier than I expected with the cam.

I?m still going to be safe and add timing just a couple degrees at a time. I?ll probably stop if i get to the mid 20?s even if I still have 0 KR.

Advanced Tuner
    Without having a dyno i would stop in the 21-23 range at peak torque. Depending on your heads that may still be excessive. Also will depend on the vehicle and how it is driven, a 3500hd with a tractor behind it in the middle of August may not tolerate so much spark or leaner afr.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 04silverado6.0 View Post
    Without having a dyno i would stop in the 21-23 range at peak torque. Depending on your heads that may still be excessive. Also will depend on the vehicle and how it is driven, a 3500hd with a tractor behind it in the middle of August may not tolerate so much spark or leaner afr.
    That?s more or less the advice i was looking for. I?m getting it as good as I can on my own.

It?s built for Nitrous. I?ll take it to a dyno and get some more experienced help once that is installed. We will perfect the Na tune at that time. In the meantime I want to get a good but conservative tune done on my own.