Thread: 4l60e and virtual torque tables, 2008 5.3 with BTR Stg 3

Tuner in Training

4l60e and virtual torque tables, 2008 5.3 with BTR Stg 3

Do the virtual torque tables have the same affect on the 4l60e as they do on the 6l80 trans?

Buddy of mine has gone through 2 trans at light to medium throttle openings.

Trans builder says tune is the issue,

thanks Neal

First off... If your "buddy" is running a modified engine-cam, headers, CAI, ported heads, bigger throttle body, etc; he is going to have a tough time getting the trans to last UNLESS it is a well built unit (and I have to laugh when I type that as 4L60e's... well I'll stop there), and it has to be tuned correctly, and he has to have a COMPLETE "system" from the front bumper to the rear.. What kind of stall converter? What tire size and rear end gears? How large is his trans cooler? How much HP does the engine make? What is the rev limiter set at and how high up is he spinning the motor? You say he has "gone through 2 transmissions"... What exactly is he damaging inside the transmission? What is he breaking inside the unit? Hard parts? Burning up clutches? You don't give enough information to help us figure out what needs to be "fixed". In regards to your initial question-I don't know the answer. I know that on 6 speed cars you MUST update the VT in the tune in order to save the transmissions life. Not sure if it's the same on the 4L60E... but would assume so. Working backwards from your question-again, what is "broken" inside the transmission.. if it is burnt clutches, then yes, pressure issues inside the unit can/will cause that and VT is playing a role in that.. If he is breaking hard parts-lowering the line pressures, and shift points, and increasing torque management @ upshift to try and help relieve some of the stress the trans is seeing on upshift OR adding better after-market parts to combat breakage. This all comes back to........ how is the trans breaking? Did he dyno test a fresh trans? How many miles did he spend driving the car at LOW RPM's-avoiding stomping the gas pedal-during the tuning to get a polished tune before hammering down on it?

Tuner in Training
    Thanks for your reply, He's been pretty easy on it,
    His trans cooler is up front around 12" x 12" x 1.5" with its own fan
    Tires are 32" tall, rear is 3.73, stall is 2600
    Driving down the road normal, trans goes into OD with lockup then looses converter and 3rd gear if I remember correctly. no hard parts that I remember him saying
    I've never seen a tune like this, no base table corrections (MAF, VE), many multi tables changed, idle air and such have been increased for cam. I'm DIY tuner and will start from scratch.
    Trans was not changed other than small increase in pressure, I used BlueCat to do the trans tune but that's about it for now. Truck throws a lot of timing in when accelerating, 55* if just taking off normal but holds 46* even when crowding it a little.
    Going to start at the beginning with the tune, start with basics then work from there, was going to work on the VT table if it has input to the 4l60e like the 6l80.
    Odd thing I noticed is the HP being logged is very low in my opinion, around 5 HP while idling.

Neal

Me and my son have a 2000 C5 with a built 5.7 and a 4l60 with 3.42 gears. Long story short is we had the transmission rebuilt three times and the first one was because of heat, the second because of a failed torque converter, and the third because of the rear output shaft breaking. Lesson learned each time. Don't let it get hot, don't buy inferior parts, and replace things with stronger then the original parts like a billet output shaft. And as far as tuning goes we run the general pressure at 95 psi, the upshifts at 90 psi, and the tcc max at 99 psi with the min at 90 psi. Also we have it shifting at 6k rpm and don't lock the converter until in forth at 55 mph. And you builder better know what he's doing. Good luck.
    L99 A6 - DSS FX Forged Piston's, Eagle ESP L19 Rods, ARP Head and Main Studs, LS9 Head Gaskets, GPI SS3 VVT Camshaft, GM Performance Racing Lifters, CHE Trunnion Upgrade, TSP Chrome Molly Pushrods, BTR .660 Valve Springs, GM Hollow Intake Valves, Melling 10355HV Oil Pump, IR EGM-205 Oil Pan Baffle, CAI Intake, Fast LSXR Intake Manifold, Nick Williams 103 TB, ZL1 Pump, TSP 1 7/8" Longtubes with 3" TSP Exhaust, Mishimoto Oil Cooler, Tru Cool 40k Tranny Cooler, 3600 Circle D Converter

Tuner in Training
    Appreciate your guidance Joe,

Thanks Neal

Tuning Addict
    If the air models haven't been tuned in get those right first. If it's repeatedly burning up the 3-4 clutch pack those were known for the check ball in the input housing to lose seal and cause the clutches to slip. I know every single one I ever built got a new input housing when they had a 3-4 burn up. Make sure injector data is correct too then go from there on the other settings. Do like Joe said and check pressures with a manual gauge for setting adjustments. You may also have a force motor current setting to control line pressure depending on the year and calibration with a 4l60. It all ties together either way, so all needs to be dialed in for things to last.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by legerwn View Post
    Do the virtual torque tables have the same affect on the 4l60e as they do on the 6l80 trans?

Buddy of mine has gone through 2 trans at light to medium throttle openings.

Trans builder says tune is the issue,

thanks Neal
    It's hard to find a trans builder worth a shit.. When you do hold on to them.

All the tune is responsible for is nice positive shifts that don't bang and don't slip into gear. If it does that.. its good to go IMHO.

Maybe some torque management for builds that make a bunch of power on a trans that really shouldn't be behind it.. thats it.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Appreciate everyone's input,

Thanks Neal