Thread: 2004 Silverado, new to tuning, advice welcome!

Tuner in Training

2004 Silverado, new to tuning, advice welcome!

2004 Silverado 4.8 tire size.hpt23-07-04 17-39-13.hpl2004 Silverado 4.8 Torque management test.hpt23-07-05 08-09-32.hpl

I really don't know what I'm doing when it comes to this software, but I am trying to use this stock truck as a way to learn what all the functions do. I am currently trying to figure out what the issue is with random hot idle misfires and a very pesky knock sensor low voltage code, but other than that, it is a really solid truck that needed some TLC.

In case it comes up, I'll list things I've replaced/done; I have cleaned all the grounds, replaced knock sensors and harness twice (once with used but known good, and again with new ACDelco yesterday.) New intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets and manifold bolts, plugs/wires, cleaned connections at ECM, crank sensor, cam sensor, rebuilt trans, TPS sensor, Coolant temp sensor/harness, fuel pump/regulator, stock 25317628 injectors (have tried a set of cheap aftermarket injectors, then put in another set of known good 25317628s but nothing changed random hot idle misfires.)

I attached the stock tune, and a quick log from yesterday after manifold and intake work. Second tune file is my newbie attempt at better response and torque management reduction, with a quick log going to get gas this morning.

Those of you that have done this for the past 20yrs on these trucks, (if you would, please) can you take a look and let me know if there are things I didn't address but could have, or more importantly, things I did that I shouldn't have? I have no plans of trying to make this thing some kind of hotrod, but it sure acts like more of a V8 regular cab short bed with 3.73s with these changes. I'm just unsure of making this a permanent change considering how much I DONT know at this point.

Thanks for any help or advice!
    Last edited by RCSBchevy; 07-05-2023 at 10:58 AM. Reason: wording

Potential Tuner
    Goat rope garage has some really good videos on tuning the gen 3 stuff. That's where I learned. Don't let it overwhelm you, I know at times I didn't feel like I was getting it, and I am usually pretty good at computers and such. Best thing I did was put the computer down and come back to it the next day or whatever. Using the compare feature is helpful btw.

Tuner in Training
    Yes sir, I?ve been rewatching them a bit, things are making sense slowly.. The compare feature was my reasoning for posting the tune before and after slight changes. That way if someone wanted they could see what I changed and let me know if I was meddling in the wrong areas for a stock truck. I?m way too scared to mess with spark or fuel until I have a better grasp (and better wideband, I have an innovate on my 73 model so I know I don?t want to use that).

What do you mean, the point is that you have done that and you have misfires, do you mean knock or misfire, did you try looking at the spark plugs? which cyl give problems? I can't see the log right now

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSBchevy View Post
    Yes sir, I?ve been rewatching them a bit, things are making sense slowly.. The compare feature was my reasoning for posting the tune before and after slight changes. That way if someone wanted they could see what I changed and let me know if I was meddling in the wrong areas for a stock truck. I?m way too scared to mess with spark or fuel until I have a better grasp (and better wideband, I have an innovate on my 73 model so I know I don?t want to use that).
    If its a stock truck then VE table and MAF calibration, Change PE settings if youre looking for more power, trans adjustments for line pressure and slightly quicker shifts, maybe even easier downshifts. If you have done a cat delete then Disable COT. Raise timing a degree or 2 and log to make sure youre not getting KR. Remove Brake torque management, and drop torque management for shifts about 40-50%. Remove TM as you see fit. some people want it all removed, i keep some for shifts and other situations though. Without having any major mods there isnt a lot that NEEDS to be changed. Some things can be calibrated closer to what youre looking for, whether its power o Fuel mileage. Also you can tune VE and MAF with fuel trims. widebands are great for WOT and PE settings, but fuel trims work great for low and mid throttle situations. BTW PE can normally be lowered just a bit from the factory and gain a little power out of it as well.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Josue Galban View Post
    What do you mean, the point is that you have done that and you have misfires, do you mean knock or misfire, did you try looking at the spark plugs? which cyl give problems? I can't see the log right now
    The attached logs are of misfire history, I also have logged current, but I?m not seeing the misfires that I can feel and hear at hot idle. It may just be the high IATs being July in Texas. I did just smack myself a little, though. The intake and exhaust leaks had it dumping the fuel pretty heavy, and I didn?t take the time to check them when I fixed the leaks. 🤦*♂️. Got wrapped up in learning the software and ignored the basics.

As far as the tuning goes, I know I?m going to need to know this stuff to keep this truck on the road, so that?s all my goal is. Not looking for anything in particular, just trying to get as comfortable with the laptop as I am twisting a distributor or turning carb screws. In my head I know it?s the same thing, but since there are so many additional tables that stack on, I am trying to wrap my head around the relationships.

Potential Tuner
    I have attached my 2004 tahoe tune if you wanted to compare to see what I have done. I have factory efans, no fueling tuning yet, I am currently data logging timing on 93 right now so I did the lazy thing and copied over the high octane tune to low octane tune and have been playing with it while sniffing out KR. I also have the PE stuff where I like it and my trans tuning is really safe, I am running a good bit of torque management in between shifts to help my original 130k mile transmission. Shift points are raised and throttle position for shifting is exactly where I want it to be. The truck is running awesome and has more power everywhere, especially torque down low.

TMv2 - same but with 5 percent to normally 0 on 1-2 an 2-3 cells.hpt

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by slackinoff View Post
    I have attached my 2004 tahoe tune if you wanted to compare to see what I have done. I have factory efans, no fueling tuning yet, I am currently data logging timing on 93 right now so I did the lazy thing and copied over the high octane tune to low octane tune and have been playing with it while sniffing out KR. I also have the PE stuff where I like it and my trans tuning is really safe, I am running a good bit of torque management in between shifts to help my original 130k mile transmission. Shift points are raised and throttle position for shifting is exactly where I want it to be. The truck is running awesome and has more power everywhere, especially torque down low.

TMv2 - same but with 5 percent to normally 0 on 1-2 an 2-3 cells.hpt
    Thanks, I'll take a look at that over the weekend. Apparently, I've got other issues to fix now. Swapped MAF sensors to see if that would change the crazy LTFT numbers. It did. Now, regardless of which MAF, it is going into knock retard when PE kicks in. Gonna get a new fuel pressure gauge and see if I have a dying fuel pump now.
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ___________________________________
    1968 F100 2wd RCSB, 429
    1973 C10 2wd RCSB, 350
    1986 F250 4wd RCLB, 460
    2004 Silverado 4wd RCSB, 4.8

Thanks, I'll take a look at that over the weekend. Apparently, I've got other issues to fix now. Swapped MAF sensors to see if that would change the crazy LTFT numbers. It did. Now, regardless of which MAF, it is going into knock retard when PE kicks in. Gonna get a new fuel pressure gauge and see if I have a dying fuel pump now.
    are you listening to the knock? the datalog knocks but you don't hear it? It is possible that if so, you have loose Knock sensors, you must tighten the screws well, perhaps some vibration of the vehicle, excessive timing? both in PE and startup can affect that

Tuner in Training
    Pretty sure I?m just not that bright and was reading to far into what I was seeing. Sleeping on it and looking at it again, it seems the retard events line up with shifts and I was logging the average. So I think it is doing what I want it to.

Two days of rain and now knock sensor 1 & 2 low voltage? so less time scanning and more time probing wires today.

Thanks for the replies. I feel like I?m wasting y?all?s time with my unfamiliarity at this point in time.

Potential Tuner

same boat

I am also getting ready to start tuning and learning too. I have used Holley Sniper software before and the only advice I can give you for rookies is, when messing with your fuel system, always watch your AFR! If you keep it around 13-13.5 you shouldn`t go lean enough to damage your motor. I have a 2002 silverado and what i have found is from tghe factory they have them set " fat" which is going to give a high AFR and could be brought down a bit with no problem. That`s as far as ive gotten with mine