Thread: E38 ECM in SD will not idle correct

E38 ECM in SD will not idle correct

I have mounted 8-Stack from Redux racing onto a LS-2 with a E38 ECM. When starting cold, the engine will not run on desired Idle. It runs on about 500 rpm and increase as the engine temp rais to operating temp. do anyone else have the same problem?

Senior Tuner
    You can increase the base airflow minimum in the idle airflow section.

Every one of these I've done has had to be in VE + Alpha-N in a complementary way. I don't know how you can do that with a E38. This is going to be a tough tuning job.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner
    E38 has AlphaN VE support
    2011 Cadillac Escalade L94 w/LS3 valves and valve springs

It was no problem to tune the engine in the dyno, it is only the cold start that is an issue. It seems that the throttle won't react on anything before the engine is warm. I have attached file and logs if anyone can see if there is something wrong in the Idle control system.Test endret Idle setup og tq setup del4 prosent max endret dtc endret2.hpt06.07.23 test 12.hpl

Tuning Addict
    Just a couple of stupid questions possibly.

Did you flow match each tb to one another? You could technically have 3 or 4 basically running the engine at idle if you didn't. This will throw off all of the fuel adjustments made so far too if they weren't tuned to one another. I know every multi setup I've ever done had to be adjusted and took hours to get them balanced out right.

It's wanting more air on cold start according to your adaptives. You might want to try adjusting the min and tb scaler settings so you can essentially lower your hot idle min air which will in turn allow you to raise your colder temps settings. Your idle timing corrections are limited by your main timing table - otherwise it would be trying to idle at 35 degrees, so might want to allow some corrections - at least some in the main timing table.

Alternator isn't charging until after you rev the motor - looks like it starts idling better after that?

You don't have the SD MAF codes setting on first error - possibly not fully failing or something related? Try unchecking the SES light box and setting to first error. Never know with some of these things.

I don't see any pedal inputs at all in the log until you shut it off and restart it if this is what you're referring to?

Also without using restrictors of some sort to really force a higher vacuum reading on the map I'm not entirely sure how you could use the stock ecm alone for this. It'll hit atmospheric pressure long before you get to wot - or at least it should be.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 07-07-2023 at 01:02 AM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

The throttlebodies are balanced out correctly. in the attached file the engine is regulating idle correctly with cold engine. But I can not see why it won't in the final file.
    Attached Files Attached Files

what values do you suguest in the TB scaler? Do you know what parameter that affect the TB opening in idle?

Tuning Addict
    To be honest I haven't done one of these with a stock ecm. It needs a way for throttle position to help control fuel. With a setup like this you would want to max out the scaler. You don't have the baro settings, which also need to be raised so you'll have to work around that. For the TB opening all of the settings for min and brake affect this. I would lower ECT to begin with then use the other settings to get the idle airflow where it needs to be. Honestly I would figure out a way to skew the map to a higher vacuum reading in your favor via using restrictions as a venturi or something like this.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC