Thread: guages not working after 4.3l to 6.0l swap 03 GMC

Potential Tuner

guages not working after 4.3l to 6.0l swap 03 GMC

I recently did a swap on an 03 GMC Sierra. It originally had a 4.3l/4l60e. the motor spun a bearing, luckily my buddy who owns a salvage yard had just bought an 06 Escalade 6.0l/4l65e in, running driving truck, just hit in the drivers door. both vehicles are 2WD so i just did a complete pull out of eng/trans, harness, accessories, fans and radiator. Pretty much plug and play with no mods needed. Pretty sweet. Everything went smoothly except for the guages. The alternator guage works, but the Battery light is on. The fuel gauge is defaulted empty with the light on and the service engine soon light does not come on. Unfortunately I never downloaded the 4.3 ECM calibration. I did have a few 03 truck calibrations to reference. The only I did see different outside the tank capacity was the Primary Volume and Primary Volume Gauge tables were different. On the truck they read 0 on the table and the Escalade had values,so I copied over the tables from the truck to the Escalade. I know 99-02 trucks had a different set up than the 03-07 trucks. I have swapped many clusters on these trucks (we all know how great they are), as long as they fell within those year ranges they worked with no issue. I looked at both the 03 4.3l and the 06 6.0l and both ECMs use the same pinouts for the fuel gauge. The Class 2 data wires are the same. The alternator and all wiring are right out of the Escalade. The ECM and cluster are talking, so I'm sure it has to be something in the ECM. Yes, it did work before and we put a new fuel pump from an 04 up truck to keep the returnless fuel system. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you

Quote Originally Posted by TMTauto View Post
    I recently did a swap on an 03 GMC Sierra. It originally had a 4.3l/4l60e. the motor spun a bearing, luckily my buddy who owns a salvage yard had just bought an 06 Escalade 6.0l/4l65e in, running driving truck, just hit in the drivers door. both vehicles are 2WD so i just did a complete pull out of eng/trans, harness, accessories, fans and radiator. Pretty much plug and play with no mods needed. Pretty sweet. Everything went smoothly except for the guages. The alternator guage works, but the Battery light is on. The fuel gauge is defaulted empty with the light on and the service engine soon light does not come on. Unfortunately I never downloaded the 4.3 ECM calibration. I did have a few 03 truck calibrations to reference. The only I did see different outside the tank capacity was the Primary Volume and Primary Volume Gauge tables were different. On the truck they read 0 on the table and the Escalade had values,so I copied over the tables from the truck to the Escalade. I know 99-02 trucks had a different set up than the 03-07 trucks. I have swapped many clusters on these trucks (we all know how great they are), as long as they fell within those year ranges they worked with no issue. I looked at both the 03 4.3l and the 06 6.0l and both ECMs use the same pinouts for the fuel gauge. The Class 2 data wires are the same. The alternator and all wiring are right out of the Escalade. The ECM and cluster are talking, so I'm sure it has to be something in the ECM. Yes, it did work before and we put a new fuel pump from an 04 up truck to keep the returnless fuel system. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you
    Regards friend, look keep in mind that the software can affect you, I advise you to find your original tune when it was 4.3, it is the best for you to compare well in the fuel system part if you know intonation and you know hptuners you can enter the repository, any Doubt reply to this message

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Josue Galban View Post
    Regards friend, look keep in mind that the software can affect you, I advise you to find your original tune when it was 4.3, it is the best for you to compare well in the fuel system part if you know intonation and you know hptuners you can enter the repository, any Doubt reply to this message
    You keep writing these weird almost nonsensical messages. Are you using google translate to convert a post to your native language, writing a reply, then translating it back?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by TMTauto View Post
    99-02 clusters are different, not interchangeable with 03-07.

Potential Tuner
    I'm aware of this. guess i could have stated better, the GMC is an 03 and the Escalade is an 06 and I've done cluster swaps before within 03-07 trucks. just like I've done cluster swap on 99-02 trucks. i did this very swap on an 01 truck going from a 4.3l to a 6.0l using a donor truck.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    You keep writing these weird almost nonsensical messages. Are you using google translate to convert a post to your native language, writing a reply, then translating it back?
    He has been accused of be AI or chat bot before.

Senior Tuner
    You will need to copy the Primary gauge and Primary gauge vol tables from an 03 file and paste into the 06 PCM. Those models have the tables inverted, and will cause the fuel gauge to read backwards.

[QUOTE=SiriusC1024;737561]You keep writing these weird almost nonsensical messages. Are you using google translate to convert a post to your native language, writing a reply, then translating it back?[/QUOT
    unfortunately that is the problem

Quote Originally Posted by SiriusC1024 View Post
    unfortunately that is the problem. im speak spanish

Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    He has been accused of be AI or chat bot before.
    noooo HAHAHAHA lmao, im a tuner , but im use translate

Potential Tuner
    I look on the tune repsitory for the calibration. Unfortunately, did download the OE calibrations because I wasn't doing anything with the 4.3l. I may still have the ECM laying around if I haven't reflashed it for another vehicle.

Potential Tuner
    Well after much checking I believe I have bad fuel sending unit. I did find the original ecm. I copied over the fuel tables from the OE ECM. Still did not work. Started to recheck all wiring. Both the donor 06 Cadillac Escalade and the 03 GMC use the same wiring from ECM to the Cluster and ECM to chassis harness connector C152 (under the underhood fuse box). The one difference I did see was there was an additional connector between the connector C152 and fuel sender on the Escalade, but it didn't affect anything. What I found was, yes GM seem to invert the fuel senders from 03 trucks to 04-07 truck. The 03 trucks having the same cluster and data lines like the 04-07 trucks still had the return style fuel systems and their senders used a 40ohm empty and 250 full sending unit (guessing the 99-02 did also). The 04 up they started the nonreturn style. When I did the swap, to keep everything the same, I installed and 05 pickup nonreturn style tank. So used an 05 truck fuel tank calibration and with all wiring correct and this truck just had the instrument cluster rebuilt, i guess the new sending unit didn't get tested before it left China. I usually check them but guess this slipped thru.