Thread: Turbo Duty Cycle dropped for unknown reason? Any ideas?

Advanced Tuner

Turbo Duty Cycle dropped for unknown reason? Any ideas?

Today my Boost Duty Cycle dropped out for some reason and I can't see any reason for it. So I was hoping someone could help me understand.
    I floored it on the freeway and when it got to ~5775 rpm the DC dropped from 100% to ~57% and stayed there. Normal is it stays at 100% until I let off the gas. My minimum duty cycle is set to 40%, and minimum is what it would drop to when the turbo faults out. So it apparently it didn't do that, but what did it do? The DC could then move between 40 and 57, but never higher.

I had to restart the engine to reset it, then floored it and it was fine, but minutes later under load at ~3K rpm, it did it again.
    I can't see any reason why it happened, or how it's capped at 57.

I also got an underboost code, which is really weird. Underboost is set to 2.9psi and it's timer is set to 9.99 seconds, neither of which I was anywhere near.

Attached is where it dropped out:
    DC loss 1.hpl
    Attached Files Attached Files
    '16 E550 Coupe RWD - C207.373 / M278.922 / MED17.7.3 / 722.909

maybe try changing "Boost Pressure Valve" the one in front of the top engine "Top up bottle"
    Xstages Motorsport

Tuning inquiries:

ECU, TCU, CPC Online Tuning
    Whatsapp: +971503383340
    Email: [email protected]
    Insta: @xstages.motorsport
    www.xstages.com

Advanced Tuner
    It was a command, not hardware.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by chevota View Post
    It was a command, not hardware.
    What was solution?

Advanced Tuner
    No solution. It hasnt done it since but DC has been weird ever since. Lower on avg.

Advanced Tuner
    It did it again!
    On the left (pix) is my turbo settings when it dropped to a DC of 57. The red arrows are the two things I suspect it's driving to when it does this. So after the first time when it went to a DC of 57, I bumped those two settings to what you see on the right side, and waited for it to happen again. It did, and now it goes to a DC of ~69. Imo the #'s don't jive but that Feedforward # is harder to convert to a DC. Apparently, assuming Feedforward is what it's doing, then 70 = DC 57 and 48 = DC 69.
    Feedforward says: [ECM] 14837 - Wastegate Max Open Stroke Position: Defines the stroke position where the wastegate is maximally open. Used during error conditions
    So, apparently I'm in an error condition? How/what/why?

Last time it did this I had to restart it to get DC back to normal, this time I did not. It returned to normal (sorta) after a bit. I floored it two more times and each time it went to 69-70 again, then again, returned to normal. By "sorta" normal I mean since this BS started the DC drops much easier and stays lower longer than it did prior to this first incident. Normal DC at that load/rpm is 100.

My turbo settings are no different than I've been using for months, and they are less aggressive (more oem) than I've probably ever used. All my other settings are basically what I've used for many months. I've done nothing I haven't done before and if anything I'm toning it down a bit.

Run today when it faulted: DC issue2.hpl

DC issue.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    Today it did it every single time I floored it.
    It's definitely that Feedforward / Max Open Stroke because I lowered the Open DC but bumped the Max Open Stroke and my DC went up to ~83.
    If it is an error condition, how is an error condition triggered? How could I go over a year messing around with things in there and not trigger it, but now I am?

35.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    I found the root cause. It's either the Intercooler Pump settings or the new VCM Editor 5.0.4. I saw in my notes that the problem started as soon as I tweaked the intercooler pump, and I have to use 5.0.4 to do that. I only use v4.10.7 because the newer versions won't let me adjust fuel and misc other things, so the tune was all done using 4.10.7, except I used 5.0.4 for the pump since it's getting really frikkin hot out and I wanted it to kick On earlier and say On longer.
    Once I realized this I looked back at runs when I played with the IC Pump in February, and sure enough the DC was hozed. Good thing I keep notes because all I can recall from memory is I had a mystery power loss issue back then and reverting to an older tune was the only way to fix it. Well, now I know why.

F*$%! So many little BS things like this bite me in the butt it's no wonder I've spent the majority of my tuning time chasing ghosts. It's bad enough there are no instructions, and descriptions are often impossible to decipher, but when things are flat out wrong, or changing some little thing breaks something elsewhere, it's more like a level 10 chinese puzzle than a user friendly tool.

That Feedforward / Max Open Stroke certainly seems to be in play, but I assume that was only because 5.0.4 broke something that triggered it. How/why, no clue... Do the IC Pump settings even work at all? Based on my IAT I'd say no. The IC Pump settings are also very confusing. Eg; wth does the tranny temp have to do with the IC pump? I'd assume, if anything, high trans temps would turn the IC Off, but based on the map it turns it On. So I can only assume that it's incorrect and only god knows what it really does. Now I wonder; did 5.0.4 break it, or did the IC Pump settings break it? I'm not interested in wasting more time to find out since the IC Pump was the only useful thing 5.0.4 had.

Better try tuning through winols. Thats the majorty of tuning I do.

Some definitions and map address are not exactly correct in hptuner.

If you want to dig and understand the platform more I'd suggest that and yes IC pump has to do with trans temps too.

Tuner in Training
    Outlaw, where is the best place to purchase winols?

Winols official site