Thread: Texas speed chopacabra-Newbie I need help with idle coming to a stop in drive.

Potential Tuner

Texas speed chopacabra-Newbie I need help with idle coming to a stop in drive.

Hello, I need help with my silverado 2007 5.3L I installed a chopacabra cam and I've been trying to work on tuning my truck. I'm new at tuning. I'm having issues where driving the truck. If I drive and for example try to come to a stop at a stop sign the truck tries to cut off and most of the time will and doesn't like to start at operating temperature unless I give it a little throttle. But if I let off the throttle it will die afterwards. What tables and or adjustments do I need to be looking at? I can send a data log file after I get off work. (I need to hook up my AFR gauge.) After hooking up my AFR gauge idle ratio is 13~15 and rev the truck and it leans out pretty bad 20:1 and will stall out. I think that is what is causing it to die on decel. Do I need to adjust tip in?
    Last edited by Domric8850; 07-14-2023 at 03:25 PM.

Potential Tuner

Log and tune file

Here's my log and tune file

ATTACH]134513[/ATTACH] 07 silverado step 16 coastdown atep decre adjustment.hpt
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Have you adjusted the VVE table for the new cam?

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillactech View Post
    Have you adjusted the VVE table for the new cam?

Wouldn't that require me to fail the MAF to be able to make adjustments to the VVE table for them to work?

Advanced Tuner
    You can do it that way, or you can calibrate them both at the same time but it requires the math for the GMVE, which can be found here:

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...ation-for-gen4

Most cam's will require a pretty drastic VVE update as you are trading low end torque for high end torque and your VVE peak values are now going to be at the new peak torque's higher RPM.

The stalling concern will get better with an adjusted VVE table but there are airflow tables specifically for idle like base running airflow that needs to be adjusted up to account for the poor VE of the new cam.

Post your tune file.

Advanced Tuner
    i didnt take a look of you file yet but have you add some flow to the iddle/airflow/airflow final minimun? no matter what RPM you command if the airflow final minimun is lower than that it cant open the blade more
    all the way from Tampico bay Mexico