Thread: Timing Retard Question on L86 Yukon Denali

Tuner in Training

Timing Retard Question on 2016 Yukon Denali

Attached a couple logs from today that captured some KR.
    I've been adjusting variables (timing, driver demand, etc.) but am wondering if what I'm seeing is due to my virtual torque needing adjustment in those areas.
    I'll go for for several days with zero recorded KR and then today when I was able to get on the highway and stretch it to higher cruising speeds... that's when it seems to appear. Cruising at 75~ + with typically around 20-30% throttle. Never see anything at WOT. Also, no real difference in logging if I'm running 93 or e85(80% content).

Other side note.. I'm in the DFW area so it's hotter that hot now but temp doesn't seem to be impacting.

Wanted to share the logs and see if there was any thoughts. I'm still not sure I'm interpreting the Tq. figures correctly in the logs and honestly, my eyes are going crossed at this point.

Files are too large to attach so linking to my Google Drive folder: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...usp=drive_link

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by WingsAA; 07-12-2023 at 10:09 PM.

Tuning Addict
    Are you actually hearing any of this knock? I only see 3 to 4 degrees peak in the one log. I didn't even see timing going negative on tip in to indicate bad carbon buildup or anything like that. If you're not hearing it and you've already raised the tm in this rpm area you can always detune the knock settings very slightly. Logs themselves where I looked appeared to look good fueling wise.
    Last edited by GHuggins; 07-12-2023 at 10:46 PM.
    2010 Vette Stock Bottom LS3 - LS2 APS Twin Turbo Kit, Trick Flow Heads and Custom Cam - 12psi - 714rwhp and 820rwtq / 100hp Nitrous Shot starting at 3000 rpms - 948rwhp and 1044rwtq still on 93
    2011 Vette Cam Only Internal Mod in stock LS3 -- YSI @ 18psi - 811rwhp on 93 / 926rwhp on E60 & 1008rwhp with a 50 shot of nitrous all through a 6L80

~Greg Huggins~
    Remote Tuning Available at gh[email protected]
    Mobile Tuning Available for North Georgia and WNC

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by GHuggins View Post
    Are you actually hearing any of this knock? I only see 3 to 4 degrees peak in the one log. I didn't even see timing going negative on tip in to indicate bad carbon buildup or anything like that. If you're not hearing it and you've already raised the tm in this rpm area you can always detune the knock settings very slightly. Logs themselves where I looked appeared to look good fueling wise.
    Thanks for the reply.
    I'm not hearing anything or even noticing differences in driving characteristics. I'll double check the tm in this area.
    I've already detuned the knock settings to the attached reference for all cylinders.

knock_settings.jpg

Advanced Tuner
    If this vehicle is stock and you're seeing "blips" of knock at cruising speeds, don't worry about it
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by STAGEUP View Post
    If this vehicle is stock and you're seeing "blips" of knock at cruising speeds, don't worry about it
    Yep, stock no internal engine mods. Thanks for the reply.

Tuner in Training
    Quick Update...
    I upped the Driver Demand slightly in those Accelerator Pedal Position/Vehicle Speed sections that were causing problems and seems to have eliminated the issue.

Hope I don't jinx myself by posting the update

Tuner in Training
    Well, it's still there...

23-07-25 20-14-19.hpl

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by WingsAA View Post
    Yep, stock no internal engine mods. Thanks for the reply.
    You're still on it huh? ha ha
    2009.5 PBM G8 GXP M6 W/Roof-Self tune, OBX LTs, Kooks axleback, LSA blower, cam,
    Monster LT1-SC clutch, flex fuel, 12 psi [email protected] 1,800 D.A
    2007 TBSS-Self tune, bolt ons [email protected], 1,900 D.A
    1991 GMC Syclone- Self tune/catback 12.8@104, 4,200ft D.A

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by STAGEUP View Post
    You're still on it huh? ha ha
    I know... I have no life. lol

Senior Tuner
    If you tuned a engine to where you never see any knock ever..

You have either completely neutered the engine.. or you have bad knock sensors.

Quite ok to have random knock here or there. As long as you can't make it do it, it isn't consistent, you can't hear it, etc.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    If you tuned a engine to where you never see any knock ever..

You have either completely neutered the engine.. or you have bad knock sensors.

Quite ok to have random knock here or there. As long as you can't make it do it, it isn't consistent, you can't hear it, etc.
    I do appreciate all the feedback. I should probably just stop taking the laptop with me for a while.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by WingsAA View Post
    I do appreciate all the feedback. I should probably just stop taking the laptop with me for a while.
    Youd be shocked if you saw the KR you see on stock GMs while driving. Stock LT4s are horrible, some worse than others. They all have it. random though. Id say just drive it....

Tuner
    Leave it alone & drive it. I see random blips while cruising 65-80mph, depending on throttle variations? sometimes with a little increase to the throttle to pass. Nothing detrimental on my end.

L86/8L90 ?15 Yukon Denali 😎