Thread: P59 backfires at 7k help

Tuner in Training

P59 backfires at 7k help

So first a rundown of the build....
    2005 silverado 2500 street/pulling truck.
    416 inch, 823 heads, 13:1, btr custom cam, 24x crank, 1x cam, drive by wire 87 mm with x link, e85, 100 lb injectors, stick coils.....
    So like the title says around 7000 rpm this thing let's out a pop in the exhaust. Rev limits are set at 11k. In the logs I don't see a drop in injector pulse, timing, voltage, tps, nothing. No odd reading from sensors, no drop in cam counts.
    I've done a lot with these ecus. swaps, forced Induction, nitrous, where I've got to scale down injector data to keep airmass below 2.38, we had spark gap at .030 so we tightend it to .020, afr's have been from 12.8 to 11.5, fuel pressure is good. I'm using a 1 bar speed density enhanced os.
    It will pop on the pulling track, and if I do a power sweep on the dyno it will do it. I feel like I've heard something like this before but I can't find anything. I'm doing this from my phone so no way to post a file but I will when I get the chance tomorrow.
    Any help is greatly appreciated

Crank position sensor. Or excessive crankshaft endplay.

Advanced Tuner
    So the crank and cam signals show to be correct?
    Crank thrust is how much?
    We had a 408 LS give us fits. Even tightened up the thrust clearance, changed converter spacing, 3 different holley ECUs, 2 wiring harnesses, new shielded wires to crank and cam.
    Changed reluctor to a 58x, changed crank shaft, changed to a 4x cam sprocket and sensor on timing cover.
    A hand full of different sensors. Finally one night at the track we turned the boost up to 45# and at 9600 rpms it come apart. Car went stupid fast.

New 427 and not a single issue with same reluctor, sensor, harness, ecu same tune but different fuel map.
    We gave up and just started over. Never figured it out. Had holley techs and Tuners trying to help.

Senior Tuner
    Isn't the reluctor wheel supposed to be TIG welded? It might have shifted.

Also may think about investing in a Fluidampr.

Tuner in Training
    Gonna change the sensor and measure endplay.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by blindsquirrel View Post
    Crank position sensor. Or excessive crankshaft endplay.
    Yes absolutely.

The ones I've seen you can pull the crank pulley and feel it clunk. Its noticeable.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

If after the endplay check it looks good maybe re-enable misfire and see if maybe you have a little valve float. You could also use an DSO and check signal quality at the ECM on the CKP and check for signal dropout at your higher rpm.
    Had one with an aftermarket block that spaced the CKP out farther than stock from the reluctor. Broke up real bad under load at higher rpm. Had my machinist make me a little broach to take a little off the boss. Fit and spin with the pan off until I had a good gap. Never came back.

totally agree could be all of the above.
    @bms_tuned
    GM EFI Tuning