Thread: 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0 LTG Auto 6 Speed P0138

Tuner in Training

2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0 LTG Auto 6 Speed P0138

First off new to this GM platform

Recently purchased a 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0 LTG auto 6 speed. Previous owner did not maintain the vehicle to IMO proper standards. Previous owner had vehicle serviced at a mom and pop shop and should I say "Butchered" the vehicle with replacing parts NON OE and band aid solutions. Since ownership of vehicle i've replaced.....

MAF - GM OEM
    VVT - Intake/Exhaust - GM OEM
    MAP - GM OEM
    BARO - GM OEM
    Spark Plugs/Coils - GM OEM
    VAC PMP/Hose's/All Valvecover seals/ evap valves on valve cover -GM OEM
    O2's - GM OEM, Down stream Aftermaket "autozone" Walker
    Cat/Exhaust - ZZP highflow/Exhaust complete
    Catch Can system - ZZP

Spent numerous hours trying to get the car to just driver as factory for daily driver. My question is due to DP/Exhaust do I need to start tuning due to this or am I missing something. Datalog's what seems as if to many. Just curious to see if other LTG owner's have had the same issue's.

0x7E8: P0138 - O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2) (SES, Pending, Current, Old, Permanent, History)
    0x7E8: P013A - O2 Sensor Slow Response - Rich to Lean (Bank 1 and Sensor 2) (SES, Pending, Current, Old, Permanent, History)
    0x7E8: P013E - O2 Sensor Delayed Response - Rich to Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 2) (SES, Pending, Current, Old, Permanent, History)
    0x7E8: P0299 - Turbocharger/Supercharger A Underboost Condition (SES, Pending, Current, Old, Permanent, History)

0x7E8: P0138 - O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2) (Pending, Current, Permanent)
    0x7E8: P1101 - Mass Airflow Sensor Out Of Self Test Range (Pending)

0x7E8: P0138 - O2 Circuit High Voltage (Bank 1, Sensor 2) (SES, Pending, Current, Old, Permanent, History)
    0x7E8: P013E - O2 Sensor Delayed Response - Rich to Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 2) (Pending, Current, Old)
    0x7E8: P1101 - Mass Airflow Sensor Out Of Self Test Range (Pending, Old)

0x7E8: P013E - O2 Sensor Delayed Response - Rich to Lean (Bank 1 Sensor 2) (SES, Pending, Current, Old, Permanent, History)

0x7E8: P0113 - Intake Air Temperature Sensor 1 Circuit High (Pending)
    0x7E8: P2227 - Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor Performance (Pending)
    0x7E8: P2228 - Barometric Pressure (BARO) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage (Pending)

Want to get the vehicle stable before Tuning. Any input is great.

Tuner in Training
    Sorry forgot to upload
    Attached Files Attached Files

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    High voltage on the O2 is usually indicative of running rich which is evident by the other codes P013A. The second code is telling you it has made an attempt to lean it out but the car isn't responding as it thinks it should.
    When changing the airflow model by physical part replacement you always follow up with a tune. The engine may or may not perform better than before, but the new parts often change installed sensor responses and effect their calibration curves. These calibrations have to be corrected to bring the engine fueling back into range in most cases.
    If the hardware was installed correctly and all major engine internals are still OEM including the Turbo, then it should run fine without a tune and let you drive around without too much issue as you make your way to the dyno for a proper calibration. The use of non-OEM parts isn't really a big deal as long as they are functioning. Ive ran Walker Exhaust O2 Sensors and NTK Sensors without any change in performance (when verified functioning).

From the sounds of your post you didn't install the exhaust so if I were you, I would be questioning the installation and also looking into the sensors to make sure the pinouts agree between sensor and ecu. If thats not right, no ecu adjustment will ever make the O2 signal change.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Tuner in Training
    Thank you for the response. I did install the exhaust and everything myself to factory torque specs via alldata info. Figured the vehicle would have auto corrected by now, yet hasen't literally the only thing i havent touch is intake manifold and timing chains. Smoked it nothing. Do I throw a bung on it and start tuning? Never seen such a stuborn car. Thanks again Cobalt!!

I'm afraid i red your initial post too fast and gave you a bad answer. In a more detailed look, your O2 codes are all for sensor 2. When you overlay B1S1 with B1S2, you see that S2 follows B1 with a small delay. If the Three Way Converter (TWC) was working efficiently, B2 would be less responsive and more averaged (smoother and flatter fluctuations).
    CAT2.jpg

Are these codes you read after deleting the codes and performing a drive cycle?
    Lots of historical codes. Sometimes reading codes right after a reset is helpful because teh immediate offenders pop back up teh fastest which can help point you in a direction.

From your log, the fuel trims at idle are under 10% combined, so the engine is running well according to the sensor feedback. They seem to be on the positive side but not anything i would consider explanation for codes.

Tuner in Training
    Thank you again cobalt.

Cyl 1 Comp test 154 psi 10 cycle starts via starter
    Cyl 1 Leakdown @ 50 psi 49 psi under pressure
    Cyl 2 Comp test 154 psi 10 cycle starts via starter
    Cyl 2 Leakdown @ 50 psi 49 psi under pressure
    Cyl 3 Comp test 156 psi 10 cycle starts via starter
    Cyl 3 Leakdown @ 50 psi 49.5 psi under pressure
    Cyl 4 Comp test 156 psi 10 cycle starts via starter
    Cyl 4 Leakdown @ 50 psi 49 psi under pressure

Factory exhaust has been replaced with the zzp aftermarket setup so it does not have the TWC that is on the factory setup. @ idle code right away but normal driving sensors balance out with a +/-. Im just curious with having the aftermaket exhaust and not having the TWC it that the cause of said issue. willing to buy the Wideband and go from there tho is the restrictive STOCK exhaust the helper with the TWC or since new zzp is a little free flowing exhaust the cause of the issue? Spark plug change to AC DELCO 41-988 GAPED @ .028Spark plug change ats8123.hpldrive to get kids.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Vehicle cannot complete drive cycle. tried 1 forced drive cycle and 1 regular just to see WTF

So it has ZZP exhaust. Does it also have their catalytic converter or have the converters been removed completely?
    If this has the ZZP converter, does the post-converter O2 sensor have an adapter threaded onto it or is the sensor installed directly into the downpipe? (O2 adapter circled in red)
    ZZP ATS LTG Converter.png

From your log files, the B1S1 says the engine is running pretty good at this time. Majority of the time within 5% trims which isn't really worth touching.

All your issues pertain to the post-converter sensor. If you have the ZZP converter installed and the TWC element is in tact, I'm thinking you are either missing the O2 Sensor restrictive extension fitting or you have a converter on the frits.

Tuner in Training
    Yes it does also have that exact cat on the vehicle and the adapter is also in place. The cat has 729 miles on it since installed. It throw's code's on startup and idle, but driving after its heated up thing's balance out. 20230630_160924.jpg