Thread: 6l80 Tuning

Tuner in Training Cal Naughton Jr's Avatar

6l80 Tuning

Hello everyone. Tuning a 2015 5.3 5ilverado and starting with the transmission before moving onto the motor, excluding disabling DoD and the slight change to WOT A/F which I will dial in later. So far I've lowered the shift times and removed all TCC slip. I've also been messing with BlueCat to get a shift schedule base, starting with the Min TCC lock and Accel gear set to 5th, factor:1.10, Offset:13, Up:7, Down:7. Before I get too crazy, will TCC/shift pressures need to be raised for these changes? The logs seem fine so far but a forum post is alot cheaper than a remanned 6l80. Also, how much TQ management/TQ factor is safe to remove? This isn't a race truck but it seems removing 20% is common. I've also read about changing the Speed Ctrl Terminate parameter to immediate to help with crisp shifts. Please find the stock and adjusted tunes and latest log attached. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Also, could anyone provide any insight to BlueCat's TCC and Downshift Delay parameters in the Shift Lead Time tables? As of right now, I've left them as the defaults of .25 for TCC Delay and .5 for Downshift Delay. TIA

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Naughton Jr View Post
    Hello everyone. Tuning a 2015 5.3 5ilverado and starting with the transmission before moving onto the motor, excluding disabling DoD and the slight change to WOT A/F which I will dial in later. So far I've lowered the shift times and removed all TCC slip. I've also been messing with BlueCat to get a shift schedule base, starting with the Min TCC lock and Accel gear set to 5th, factor:1.10, Offset:13, Up:7, Down:7. Before I get too crazy, will TCC/shift pressures need to be raised for these changes? The logs seem fine so far but a forum post is alot cheaper than a remanned 6l80. Also, how much TQ management/TQ factor is safe to remove? This isn't a race truck but it seems removing 20% is common. I've also read about changing the Speed Ctrl Terminate parameter to immediate to help with crisp shifts. Please find the stock and adjusted tunes and latest log attached. Thanks in advance!
    I would suggest starting here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-OF...VeoqDl2MvjEnZy
    A standard approach will give you standard results.

My Tuning Software:

VVE Assistant [update for v1.5]
    MAF Assistant
    EOIT Assistant

These videos are perfect, I'll be checking out his VVE videos and MAF tools next! Thank you!

SilverSurfer77's videos have been great but I noticed I've been getting significant KR since my transmission tune. The only changes to the engine side have been disabling DoD and taking some fuel out of WOT. Any ideas?Stock_BC_3_WCS.hpl

You have TCC apply early on pattern A, hot trans, and hot engine.

Are these tables supposed to match? I'm probably off, but my intention was to only alter the Normal table and leave the Tow/Haul and overheating tables stock as a failover.2015_FRFR_3.hpt

I always set all exactly the same except for Tap up/Tap down. Those if I recall need something specific.
    Log your knock and TCC lockup on the same chart and you should be able to see if there is a correlation to lockup.

I don't get why, but that seemed to do the trick! Thank you!!

Locked TCC will need less timing. That's one of the many reasons to enable lockup only in 4rth of a 4 speed. 5-6 in a 6 speed and disable at modest 50% throttle.

After playing around some more, it seems I'm still getting a few degrees KR at times while cruising in 6th. Funny enough, even the stock tune was getting KR around the same area.

I took your advice and set the TCC to unlock at 44% TPS for 5th and 37% for 6th, as well as raising the TCC release speeds for lower TPS%. My question is, does the TCM use the Accelerator Pedal Position, Throttle Position, Relative Throttle Position, or Commanded Throttle Actuator to determine TPS?

In my latest log I'm still getting KR due to the TCC not releasing in 6th, although all the release conditions are met. As an example, with the tune setting a release speed of 68 at 31% TPS, the TCC still refuses to unlock at 62mph and 34% TPS, which is where I'm getting knock.

I'm terrible at explaining things so I've gone ahead and attached the latest log.

Also, I'll be going back to leaving the TCC unlocked in 4th. I've been messing around with BlueCat and I don't think it plays well with trucks. The original BlueCat settings were lazier than factory, and setting the min lock up gear to 5th made it shift to 5th at 25mph. I had to set the factor to 1, max out the upshift and downshift parameters, and lower the offset as much as possible without running into a logic error just to get a baseline tune. Even after using the max values, I still had spots that were lazier than factory. Could be user error though!

stock_61.hpl
    2015_FRFR_6.hpt
    Last edited by Cal Naughton Jr; 08-07-2023 at 02:42 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Perfect start to what i was wondering too. Thanks for the info. new to all this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Naughton Jr View Post
    After playing around some more, it seems I'm still getting a few degrees KR at times while cruising in 6th. Funny enough, even the stock tune was getting KR around the same area.

I took your advice and set the TCC to unlock at 44% TPS for 5th and 37% for 6th, as well as raising the TCC release speeds for lower TPS%. My question is, does the TCM use the Accelerator Pedal Position, Throttle Position, Relative Throttle Position, or Commanded Throttle Actuator to determine TPS?

In my latest log I'm still getting KR due to the TCC not releasing in 6th, although all the release conditions are met. As an example, with the tune setting a release speed of 68 at 31% TPS, the TCC still refuses to unlock at 62mph and 34% TPS, which is where I'm getting knock.

I'm terrible at explaining things so I've gone ahead and attached the latest log.

Also, I'll be going back to leaving the TCC unlocked in 4th. I've been messing around with BlueCat and I don't think it plays well with trucks. The original BlueCat settings were lazier than factory, and setting the min lock up gear to 5th made it shift to 5th at 25mph. I had to set the factor to 1, max out the upshift and downshift parameters, and lower the offset as much as possible without running into a logic error just to get a baseline tune. Even after using the max values, I still had spots that were lazier than factory. Could be user error though!

stock_61.hpl
    2015_FRFR_6.hpt
    Move your Apply and Release speed on the 31% Throttle Position to 317 MPH. You have a spread between 31 and 37 so your data is correct on TCC release. Make sure to do it on all tables
    Last edited by TheMechanic; 10-20-2023 at 07:05 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Is the truck stock? Either way, Dial in your VVE and MAF, then play with the trans. You will be surprised on how much misinformation there is on trans tuning on gen 5s. I have one that pretty much shifts like a PDK. there is very minimal tuning, trans side, maybe a little on the interia settings.