Thread: Please help with 5.3 idle issue

Tuner in Training

Please help with 5.3 idle issue

There are many things wrong with this tune, but I'm still learning. BUT, I need help with this one issue. With my truck in gear, my idle is about 800 rpm. When I let it creep the engine suddenly jumps to 1100 rpm and the truck lurches. On the same token, if I am driving and decelerating, the engine hangs at 1100 rpm until I hit exactly 3 mph, then the engine drops to idle. This is dangerous and I need it to drop to idle, and not lurch forward at 3 mph. Any ideas?

I uploaded the tune that's in there if you need to read it. Thank you in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by 2k-Sierra View Post
    There are many things wrong with this tune, but I'm still learning. BUT, I need help with this one issue. With my truck in gear, my idle is about 800 rpm. When I let it creep the engine suddenly jumps to 1100 rpm and the truck lurches. On the same token, if I am driving and decelerating, the engine hangs at 1100 rpm until I hit exactly 3 mph, then the engine drops to idle. This is dangerous and I need it to drop to idle, and not lurch forward at 3 mph. Any ideas?

I uploaded the tune that's in there if you need to read it. Thank you in advance.
    What year truck? What modifications have been done? Log with the main PID's of idle, cruising would help also.
    2013 CTS-V Coupe M6 - 1 7/8" Headers, 3" x-pipe, stock mufflers, Airaid intake w/green filter, ID1050X injectors, DSXtuning flex fuel kit, DMS under hood tank, upgraded pump, 3/4" lines, griptec 2.4" pulley, solid isolator, 100mm idler, reinforced brick, MM mild catch can, AEM 30-0334 wbo2, 600whp/630wtq

Advanced Tuner
    Throttle cracker needs reduced. I normally will use values around 1. I usually put 0 from 2200+.

Tuner in Training
    Throttle cracker id take out 10% untill ya get it to where ya want. Auto cruise control sucks!

Tuner in Training
    Thank you very much for the responses, gentlemen! The truck is a 2000, has a BT stage 3 truck cam and long tube headers, full exhaust, and cold air kit. The problem I have is that I didn't do this thing. I would have kept everything intact. I have no 02 sensors, EGR, and there's a wire on the TB disconnected. If I connect it, the truck won't idle at all. I got this thing over two years ago and I'm just trying to get it so I can use it. I'll look in the software for the throttle cracker and reduce it. Thank you!

P.S. could you point me in the right direction? You're talking the airflow tab under throttle cracker? What about the enable speed, etc.? My enable speed is 2mph, and the Rolling Idle speed is set at 1mph. Those okay?
    Last edited by 2k-Sierra; 07-25-2023 at 10:25 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    I forgot to mention, your idle airflow doesn't look right. Setup the pids and dial in your airflow/throttle stop adjustment. You may want to look at your desired rpm table as well and make sure that is what you are going for, you will want the rpm to drop gradually as temp goes up. I personally would raise the throttle cracker entry and exit speeds 3-5mph each to help with parking lot surge. Like I said I usually keep throttle cracker airflow values around 1 and have no issues stalling.

Advanced Tuner
    Rolling idle I believe was for manual cars. I have always kept the mph at the 200+ stock value and not used it.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 04silverado6.0 View Post
    I forgot to mention, your idle airflow doesn't look right. Setup the pids and dial in your airflow/throttle stop adjustment. You may want to look at your desired rpm table as well and make sure that is what you are going for, you will want the rpm to drop gradually as temp goes up. I personally would raise the throttle cracker entry and exit speeds 3-5mph each to help with parking lot surge. Like I said I usually keep throttle cracker airflow values around 1 and have no issues stalling.
    Change this table to all 1s? And then Enable and Disable up a few mph? The disable is M/S instead of MPH. I don't know what that is. I apologize for my ignorance, but I'm a 70 year old carb and distributor guy in a new world.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Advanced Tuner
    Here is a 01 silverado with stage 3 tsp cam you can steal the throttle cracker settings from. Probably could use the idle rpm desired as well. It had a chinese throttle body so i would not use the base idle airflow table from this one.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Here is a 01 silverado with stage 3 tsp cam you can steal the throttle cracker settings from. Probably could use the idle rpm desired as well. It had a chinese throttle body so i would not use the base idle airflow table from this one.

Thank you so very much. I will give this a try. It's ugly weather today so it may be another day before I get the results. Thanx again!!

Tuner in Training

Had a chance to do some tweaking today and this data helped a lot!! Thanx! I made about 7 or 8 more tweaks today and I'm getting much closer to where I need to be. I appreciate the help, folks!