Thread: 21 Can Am Outlander 1000 R RPM removal help

Potential Tuner

21 Can Am Outlander 1000 R RPM removal help

I just installed new cams and have some RJWC pipes with headers, CV tech trail bock primary, STM secondary, and solid motor mounts.

I have been tuning and dialing in my AFR via VE table and have further modified my AFR to get it to target using the separate Bank tables for altitude and sea level (Bank 1 = Cyl 1, Bank 2 = Cyl 2). I have it dialed in to almost perfection.

However, I have hit a wall when it comes to RPM limits. I have removed all torque limits, used DFCO Cutoff to disable cutoff, and have raised speed limits as well. Every time I hit about 7800 RPM the bike stops fueling for a second and and then picks back up.

I am hitting this RPM threshold in about 100 feet so it is not really that great. Ultimately I would like the RPM limit to be set to 9500. Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong to remove these limiters?
    Last edited by StrategicRPM; 07-25-2023 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Title issue

Potential Tuner
    Wanted to Bump this? See if anyone can help.

I am able now to get it to 8241 for a moment, and then it will drop back down to 7800 to 7900 so progress is being made. I am making minor tweaks and then doing runs to see if I can figure it out, and will hopefully have something by end of weekend.

Can anyone help me out?

I would suggest changing all of the limiters to reflect the MAX RPM you wish to acheive. I dont have a file in front of me at the moment. But the DFCO/rev Limit screen has many places that RPM is limited.

I think there's a throttle stab table plausibility check.
    Also might look at the TQ limits for battery and Coolant temp.
    Last edited by HellKnightHicks; 09-05-2023 at 09:51 AM.

Tuner in Training
    I dont have the HP tuner setup for these, I do everything in Hex code. if you have access to doing this. you can alter ALL rpm limit values directly EASILY!!! download HEX EDITOR NEO its free.

you need your FULL hex file to do this (full bin file is a 1540 KB file) open in a hex editor and search the hex file for values in HEXIDECIMAL format (hex) "00 01 00 02 00 03 00 04 00 05 00 06 00 07 00 F0 55 00 7D 00 7D" you will find in the sector AROUND of the hex at the hex address 0x02F000 example may be at 02F9B6 which these usually are at for the atv pending software revision # locating these values is step 1.

now that you found them. directly following the 07 00 FO 55 (XX XX) you wont see parenthesis the XX XX is the value depicting your RPM LIMIT VALUES! on your machine I'll guarantee the fmajority of all RPM limit is set to 8000 rpm which will display 8 bit values of 00 7D. 8 bit = XX and 16 bit= XX XX knowing this you'll see ?.06 00 07 00 F0 55 (00 7D) 007D making the 00 7D the number in parenthesis youll want to focus on invert to intel, IEEE ,little endian code format

Now it gets fun what's that mean. well, ITS sort of EASY!!!! here's the CRASH COURSE nobody tells you.

this ecu reads by INTEL processing standards. so we invert the numbers of these 2 values 00 7D into a 16bit LITTLE ENDIAN format. 00 7D is BIG endian as shown in any hex string 8 bit hex values right to left, however some read LEFT to right so 00 7D becomes 7D00 in 16 bit value by REVERSING and combining them. neat right??

next. You have this so dont think you dont. open your windows calculator (upper right change it to PROGRAMMER mode and enlarge it to fit the screen ) click on the word on the left middle that says HEX and type in the calculator area the values 7D00 what LOOK WHAT IS the DEC value shown below the word HEX? 32000 is the value you should see if done right. GREAT!!! ALMOST THERE!! now the ISO standard Conversion (thank OBD2 ISO 15674 PID calculation value standards for these)!

Next. go back to calculator and divide by 4 for the rpm value . that value of 32000/4=8000 8000 is your rpm or 7D00 in 16 bit intel (little endian) or 00 7D as shown in 8 bit

so....to change this to 9500 lets do the math. its easy to do. take 9500 X 4= 38000

now go to PROGRAM MODE CALC again. THIS TIME click on the word DEC (entering the decimal value to find the hex value... click DEC type in the value of 38000 you'll see the HEX code for that is 9470 that's what YOU need so values 94 70 translate to 8 bit code of 70 94

where you see 00 7D you make that 00=70 and the 7D=94 so it now says ......00 06 00 07 00 FO 55 (70 94) 00 7D the values there equate to 9500 rpm

repeat this process there are 42 of these values following the first value which is the F0 55 if it eventually says FF FF just process to the next following 2 values that mode is shut off internally so disregard and move on so in all there is about 24 real XX XX values to change that arent FF FF

so knowing all this, you can tell me what the FIRST RPM LIMIT VALUE IS that is the FO 55 change that to 55FO ..... program calc .....click hex ... enter 55FO and look at DEC. take DEC# and divide by 4 thats your rpm which is (let me know below)

now where does your machinehit that RPM???? bam. now you know what that value controls. there are MULTIPE VALUES

this is how its done.

works every time if done right

if you cant get it done. send me the tuned ecu a it sits and I'll do it for you. I can set all rpm values even reverse brake and limp to your desired limits for all modes and remove all speed limits for the same

as ALL the mapping rpm axis values must correlate to the increased rpm limit and must be adjusted accordingly.

go to work
    Last edited by VFORCEJOHN; 09-06-2023 at 10:48 PM.

Tuner in Training
    BTW DFCO means DECELERATION FUEL CUT OFF that keeps the injectors on as you decel instead of shutting them off (helps with decel backire when its OFF meaning it adds fuell on decel)

torque limits are just max calc torque produced (effective if trying to aarget a specific RPM cap lets say 7600 rpm) this is why on stock ecu tune it kind of lays flat at 7800-7900 rpm no matter how high you try to clutch it as it cuts throttle, fuel and timing 99.41 is the max value or somehting like that be sure to do the battery torque table too

afr and VE are good as thats the fueling. continue that but that wont change rpm limit per se but WILL affect total outcome above set rpm axis values you will have to alter the RPM axis value which I think stops at 8000 or 8250 rpm on those maps change that to 9500 rpm and rescale the mapping values accordingly with copy and paste for sectors where there ist much change between values. copy and paste rows over to create more room on the map make the 2nd value in from the right 8500 and then the final value 9500 copy the 8000 or 8250 value to the 8500 value and the 9500 value to get started past the 8k mark
    Last edited by VFORCEJOHN; 09-07-2023 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by VFORCEJOHN View Post
    BTW DFCO means DECELERATION FUEL CUT OFF that keeps the injectors on as you decel instead of shutting them off (helps with decel backire when its OFF meaning it adds fuell on decel)

torque limits are just max calc torque produced (effective if trying to aarget a specific RPM cap lets say 7600 rpm) this is why on stock ecu tune it kind of lays flat at 7800-7900 rpm no matter how high you try to clutch it as it cuts throttle, fuel and timing 99.41 is the max value or somehting like that be sure to do the battery torque table too

afr and VE are good as thats the fueling. continue that but that wont change rpm limit per se but WILL affect total outcome above set rpm axis values you will have to alter the RPM axis value which I think stops at 8000 or 8250 rpm on those maps change that to 9500 rpm and rescale the mapping values accordingly with copy and paste for sectors where there ist much change between values. copy and paste rows over to create more room on the map make the 2nd value in from the right 8500 and then the final value 9500 copy the 8000 or 8250 value to the 8500 value and the 9500 value to get started past the 8k mark
    Good info. What I can understand of it anyway. The stock 1000R seems to pull well to about 8800 RPM even without rescaling the VE table I can only hit that in low range though.

Tuner in Training
    The 1000r and commander are damn similar tune files to the Outty and renegade.

If you do what I said above. You?ll easily raise it and prevent the soft cut fuel limit that your feeling. 1000r is 8500-8850 if I remember right.

There are also MANY top end power cut on those as well. Many hidden top Battery vs torque limit Sections.

Quote Originally Posted by VFORCEJOHN View Post
    The 1000r and commander are damn similar tune files to the Outty and renegade.

If you do what I said above. You?ll easily raise it and prevent the soft cut fuel limit that your feeling. 1000r is 8500-8850 if I remember right.

There are also MANY top end power cut on those as well. Many hidden top Battery vs torque limit Sections.
    Ive made a ton of changes as you suggested. Havent hit the Rev limit as ive been using the 4 wheeler for hunting as of the last bit.

It takes a lot of time to find all the limits in the tables. There is an issue with the Battery Tq limit tables on the 24 year causing a 1400RPM limit when the vaules are put high. But it appears more recent versions of HP tuners have remapped those tables. I made some changes on recent tunes with the new table leaving the strange last row alone and havent been limited to 1400 yet. But theres been a lot going on. Havent had a ton of time to play with it.