Thread: 08 5R110W 3rd Gear Lockup Issue

08 5R110W 3rd Gear Lockup Issue

has anyone else had trouble getting a 6.4 Powerstroke 5r110w to lock in 3rd gear?
    i have a 6.0 and it locks in third whenever commanded.

ive played with min speed ratios and unconditional unlock ratios but i have never been able to get it to lock in 3rd.
    5th and O.D lockup as commanded.
    is there a trick to it or am a dealing with a mechanical issue?

most of the time you have to run the Hot lock logic to get the 5r110 to lock up in anything below 5th
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Yes that's what I'm running.
    I ended up testing my tune on another truck and it worked perfectly so must be a mechanical issue.

Potential Tuner
    I have a 2008 F450 with a 5r110 behind a compound turbo 215HP 12v Cummins and would really love TCC in manual 3RD and Tow Haul to lockout 6th gear, ie downshift to 5th and Lock converter

To use hot lock enable, do you change temp to say 115 and disable to 110? just guessing here, thank you.

How would you lock out 6th gear (won't shifted into 6th or will downshift out of 6th) in tow haul mode?

locking out 6th would help going to the winding roads with my toyhauler.

My truck has a reman trans from ford with 15k miles on it, the torque converter is transtar billet cover low stall. stall speed in drive with brake on is about 2100 rpm, the duallys left a scuff on both sides of my driveway lol

You?re right on the hot logic. Set a low temp for enable and a lower temp to disable.

As for locking out 6th gear you can put in the 5-6 shift schedule 120mph(that?s what I use) in the TH maps.

Just be careful with lock and unlocking maps for your 5th gear, you can make it lock up in 5th gear and create some serious EGT?s if you don?t get the unlock map right. But I?m unsure how that works with a fummins because the trans section uses Pedal ADC. I have never done a Fummins tune honestly

Potential Tuner
    Thank you for the reply, I don't think EGT's will be an issue. The tractor like engine called the 12V Cummins loves working at 1600-2200.

I will definitely try better shift timing based on MPH and TPS but only added torque converter lockup on hot logic and locked out 6th until 80mph in tow haul.
    Last edited by Bronco73idi; 01-05-2024 at 10:21 PM.

sounds good.

If you post your file im sure someone or I can help you out with it a little more.
    2003 Ford excursion 6.0 PSD
    No limit intake
    Straight pipe
    Studded
    EGR delete
    KC billet single plane compressor wheel
    Self Tuned
    XDP Regulated return
    RDP Fuel sump
    AEM progressive water meth
    Custom suspension air bags
    8" lift
    35" tires

Potential Tuner
    It shifts so much better but it feels like 3rd gear is slipping after torque converter locks. shifts to 3rd, shortly after (17mph) it locks and then about 1 sec after rpm goes up about 200 rpm(sound and tach) faster then speed and then it holds rpm with acceleration and then shifts to 5th.

driving style is grandpa, while testing I have stayed under 10psi of boost.

I see 3rd gear "trans TV pressure slope" in upshift is a lot higher then 2nd and 5th, indicating to me it has less mechanical holding power(weaker)

is there anything else that you would change?

F450 stock 2nd.hpt