Thread: 2006 Silverado timing being pulled after segment swap

Tuner in Training

2006 Silverado timing being pulled after segment swap

Hello All,
    First time needing help but this is killing me.Long story but will try and condense. Helping a friend swap a 6.0 and 4L80E from a 2003 into a 2006 4.8 4L60E Truck. Mechanically the swap was all good. He did the trans harness adapter for Amazon? Think it does the pin swap. Also did the front speed sensor harness to PCM. I went over and did a segment swap with same OS and did a Write Entire. Changed the tables and changed to 6.0l. Didn't use it right away, still needed a drive shaft. So he started it and it was smooth he said Shifted like butter. He even pulled a trailer with it and had no problems but was lacking some power in mid and WOT. So he came over and I did a PE change and raised the timing a bit. Also removed VATS because had one leave me before. Went to write entire and it Bricked!

After getting a different PCM and flashing the same file and segments it is pulling gobs of timing in torque management. It also has a harsh 1-2 where as it didn't before, Also the hot transmission message and goes to hot mode?

Got another pcm with a different OS and did a segment swap. And left everything as found but PE and still has same problems except have not seen hot trans yet but has not been driven far. Attaching file and log. You will notice that it is still a 5.3 as didn't want to change a lot yet.

I am logging input speed on trans and reads 0? Don't know if this pid is valid for the setup or maybe it is the problem. It does have fluid in the trans connector and is being changed.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    2006 4l80e swap TQmanagement pullingAbuse Disabled.hpt
    Try that. Abuse mode disabled and shift tq management back in.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by reubone View Post
    2006 4l80e swap TQmanagement pullingAbuse Disabled.hpt
    Try that. Abuse mode disabled and shift tq management back in.
    Thanks. Will try and report findings

Tuner in Training
    Well, I flashed and test drove it. Kinda feels the same?
    Thanks!

See if you can't recover the bricked PCM. There are plenty of videos out there showing how to do that.

Advanced Tuner
    Ive removed several of those Cheap harness adapters and just swapped the 2 wires needed at the 20pin connector.
    Shifted better and hot tranmsission message went away.
    Hot transmission message will change the shift pressures and such.

Tuner in Training
    I am going to have to agree. Seems nothing is changing this. I can control the amount of retard but it is always there, even blips between shifts cruising. And I did try and recover the pcm using the grounding of the pin on the board. No luck but may revisit trying again.

Tuner in Training
    Hey Thanks. Seems to be the same. It is not that it can or cannot pull for trans shifting, it is that it pulls a bunch in between gears on normal pulls. It will shift harsh, but after completing the shift it is still pulling tons. The first file that reubone edited I thought was it by me overlooking the abuse mode. But same thing. Have not figured out what is asking for the TM to even pull anything during acceleration. Thought maybe Traction control? It was disabled also and still pulls. What gets me is after the original was bricked (12582605 service #) I found another P59 with exact service # and even the broadcast code was the same and it has made no difference. The first P59 was a 12576106 from a Tahoe 5.3 and it was doing the trans hot mode. Have not seen that so far but may be in the adapter plug at trans connector. Kinda had the impression all P59 were the same except some had iac drivers. Gonna do the pin swap and replace the internal wiring Saturday and see where we go.

Thanks Guys!!

Tuner in Training
    Thanks. Will do. I am still waiting on wiring harness. Will check and install and report back

Tuner in Training
    OK Guys,
    Took awhile to correct this harness situation. Bud bought an Amazon harness from you know where and it leaked worse than the one that was in it. He got an OEM from Rock Auto and it worked great. The problem was there as before. Removed the swap over harness and did the pin swap and no luck, was still there. Hard 1-2 upshift and Timing pulled by Torque Management. (a bunch) The kit he originally ordered had a harness that was for the front ISS speed sensor to the pcm green connector 22 and 23 pin. Decided to look at them and holy crap!! They were way large! I replaced them with GM pins and it fixed both problems!! Shifts smooth as glass and no timing being pulled, Now I can start tuning some! Just as a note, When I was monitoring the ISS channel, it would only read way up in rpm. At the time did not know if that was normal or not. It is not normal, now the sensor reads all the time. As for the Hot Trans message, I dunno, Have to drive and see. Just wanted to come back and tell what actually fixed it. There are so many post where it is the same problem with no end to the post and nobody is helped. Hope this does!! Found a post on EFI live that steered me this direction. I am posting a log and a picture that will show, if I can get it to work correctly.

Thanks to all you guys for the help, I dont ask very often but nice to know you respond!!