Thread: New ECM-Module Relearn Procedures

Senior Tuner

New ECM-Module Relearn Procedures

So, I'm cheating a little bit since this isn't HPT related, and not even V8 but the 4 cylinder portion is pretty quite. And sorry for the long email

I have a DF Goblin kit car with the the drivetrain/electronics from a 2008 Cobalt SS/Turbo Ecotec/LNF. This has the stock E69 ECM, stock BCM and TDM. With most of the other modules removed.

I recently had the o2 heater ground in the ECM fail and after 1.5 months and a threat to dispute my CC charge I got a replacement from Flagship1. Now the question is how do I get the Immobilizer relearn accomplished. The service manual isn't much help since it keeps reference other sections that seem like they are more for replacing the TDM or BCM. And Flagship1 says I need to at least do the 30 minute key relearn, which the service manual says won't work on an ECM replacement. Service manual mostly references the Techline/SDS system for key and immobilzer

I have access to an Autel906BT scanner which won't program new modules but I'm pretty sure can handle the Clutch and Accelerator relearn. I don't know about the TDM/key relearn since some of the terminology is different and it isn't a pass through device.

I have the Chinese knock off VCX Nano for GM that I have used for the basic Tech2 functions. This is supposed to be able to handle the pass through functions but sounds like a nightmare to get everything to run just right. It's hard enough to get it to run as just the tech2.

I recently picked up and DashLogic Dashbridge CX which is a pass through device, but will it work for module relearn without the tech2 to interface between the TDS system? It does look like I can get a tech2 for windows through TDS system, but I don't know how that will interface.

On top of this, I may have to upgrade from windows 10 home to 10 pro to use the TDS system for $99. I don't mind spending the money if I can get it to work but I don't won't to waste it either.

Anyone have any advice? Just ignore the tools I have and take it to some one and hope I can convince them to treat it like a Cobalt?

So you have one that you didn't do a VATS delete? You could do that. Otherwise do the 30 minute relearn. Key off, KOEO wait 10 minutes, Turn off immediately KOEO. Repeat this 3 times for a total of 30 minutes. At Key off the next time you turn the key go to a KOER and it will learn the key and start

Senior Tuner
    Vats delete isn't available for the LNF-e69.

Does the 30 minute key relearn get the fuel continue password from the bcm to the ecm? Service manual indicates it doesn't but it also hard to pick out what has to be done when for the different modules.

Yes. It is a function of the BCM. It receives the signal from the theft deterrent module that is on the ignition cylinder and then gives the handshake to the ECM to start

Senior Tuner
    Thanks for the feedback. The service manuals read like either they are very generic where they used the same language for a bunch of models so aren't at all specific, or maybe just the fact they are written for dealer service where the user knows what they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by gtstorey View Post
    Thanks for the feedback. The service manuals read like either they are very generic where they used the same language for a bunch of models so aren't at all specific, or maybe just the fact they are written for dealer service where the user knows what they are talking about.
    A lot of the manufacturers do use specific language so I get what you mean. It has been pretty unchanged since my first Burbank GM schools the dealer sent me to in the 80's.