Thread: 2004 gto torque management

Tuner in Training

2004 gto torque management

Has anyone turned off the torque management or set it to 50% or 25% vs 100%. Does anyone have a screenshot in hp tuners how to adjust this? DOes upping the line pressure help with anything and how do you do this to increase shift firmness. If it has torque management im not sure if putting a corvette servo in would help it with firmer shifts.

04 gto auto, cam, headers, stahl hes saying shifts slow and sluggish vs my 99 corvette auto stock stahl, cam and headers which had the factory corvette servo.

From what i read TM reduces timing and other stuff to prevent stuff from breaking but others said they turned it off. I also read the 6 speed gto 2004 have torque management as well. Is there a way to turn this off ive never had it on my 98 z28 ls1 6 speed and it had a smaller 7.5" 10 bolt nothing broken.
    Is there a handheld tuner that can turn it off and back on if needed without messing up the cam, headers tune. The tuner locally didnt want to mess with the transmission parameters.
    Last edited by JustinRaney; 08-03-2023 at 08:17 AM.

Sure. TM is often turned off when you do a transmission swap or stock config that has say a 4L80e or other extreme duty transmission or a manual. Of course any other transmission like say a 4L60e would be wrong to turn off TM as you would smoke it in short order.
    Go to System>General>System Options>Brake TqMgt and set that to "0" zero.

Tuner in Training
    Why would it hurt anything? The 99 corvette i had had a corvette servo stock 4l60e from the factory should have TM not sure but shifted firmer, faster then the auto gto 2004 ls1. Ideally the only thing different would be the corvette servo if the 2004 gto auto doesnt come with one. So you think its possibly the servo i was talking to someone and they mentioned the gto having TM which can be turned off or set to 50 vs 100 which would still be active at wasnt sure if putting a corvette servo in would help but that a handheld tuner could turn it off or change it.

Someone told me that even the 6 speed GTO ls1 2004 has TM. Id have to look into it further but i would turn it off on that the diff and driveshaft t56 is pretty strong.

Senior Tuner
    If you want to go 50% removed just multiply the torque management vs shift torque by 0.5.

TM can save the transmission. It can also smooth shifts out. I'll set a lot up with zero torque managment but I also don't set the shifts to bang into the next gear. A nice positive quick shift that doesn't bang is IMHO the best long term way to set a trans up. This depends on the setup too.. If we are making 700 RWHP thru a 4l60 .. that will be completely different than a 5.3L with a truck norris cam.

TM in 6l80 - 10 speeds applications is completely different. They need a bit of TM
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
    If you want to go 50% removed just multiply the torque management vs shift torque by 0.5.

TM can save the transmission. It can also smooth shifts out. I'll set a lot up with zero torque managment but I also don't set the shifts to bang into the next gear. A nice positive quick shift that doesn't bang is IMHO the best long term way to set a trans up. This depends on the setup too.. If we are making 700 RWHP thru a 4l60 .. that will be completely different than a 5.3L with a truck norris cam.

TM in 6l80 - 10 speeds applications is completely different. They need a bit of TM
    Its a 2004 gto auto with torquer 2 cam, 3200 stahl, headers stock 4l60e not over 400whp. Nelson the local tuner here in san antonio didnt want to mess with the transmission left it stock shift points even tho a bigger cam. I had a 99 corvette stock 4l60e with corvette servo cam headers that shifted quicker and firmer im not sure if those have torque management as well but was dyno tuned at lsx performance 360 they left the transmission stuff alone as well and double checked at henderson performance dynojet 248 dyno to confirm it was 12.6 AFR.

Does the 2004 gto come with a corvette servo from the factory or the regular truck 4l60e servo? It doesnt bang the limiter but doesnt shift as quick and firm as my corvette did with the stock 4l60e stock converter. I was told gm did it for warranty purposes but ive seen that it can be turned down a or set to 0 and not have that problem it'd be the same as a 700r4 with converter and old classic 400hp SBC i would think.
    So would putting a corvette servo in the 2004 gto even help if torque management was still fully active?

You wouldnt happen to know if the 2004 gto 6 speed i just bought one 2 months ago after selling my 99 corvette has some kind of torque management that is used with traction control on or even off? Someone told me they had torque management spark retard as well as regular knock retard parameters? Or that under 2k or full throttle to redline from the factory if the car sensed abuse it would pull timing or something as a gm to keep from blowing stuff up under warranty.

I had a smaller 218 cam, headers, ud pulley 98 z28 6 speed that pulled to 6500 rpms before id shift i never hit 6600rpms or the rev limiter with a tune by pat g or lsx dyno out in victoria texas when i lived in adkins.
    Last edited by JustinRaney; 08-03-2023 at 10:11 AM.

Senior Tuner
    I'm not sure which servo it has but you can get an aftermarket one that is better than a corvette servo anyway. Firmer I mean.

A trans tune should definitely be part of the tune. TM wouldn't cause it to hit the rev limiter.

6 speeds didn't have between shift torque management. I saw a truck manual tune that had some not long ago but I'm not sure it actually functioned.
    Tuner at PCMofnc.com
    Email tuning!!!, Mail order, Dyno tuning, Performance Parts, Electric Fan Kits, 4l80e swap harnesses, 6l80 -> 4l80e conversion harnesses, Installs

Torque management is the best thing about the OEM GM ECU. There isn't a single other feature which can do more for the longevity of a transmission and the way a vehicle shifts.

It's the only reason I have not switched to a Holley ECU or similar- that torque management is priceless. Learn to use it and it will reward you.